1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2004 Dodge Ram oxygen sensor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MikeKle, Jun 29, 2008.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram with the 5.7L HEMI the engine light is on and I found out it is the oxygen sensor,There is a total of 4 of them I think, Is there any way to tell which one needs replacing? They are a bit pricey, I also just found out a pair of front brake pads will cost me $40! My last dodge, they were $14. Will it hurt the engine to drive with a bad oxygen sensor for a little while? I really hope I dont have to replace all of them!
  2. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

You can go to AutoZone and have the codes read.

Regarding O2 sensor, you can still run around with a bad one. Depending on which one it is, it may send your computer into a default condition of a rich mixture of fuel. You'll just burn more fuel until you fix it. You have 2 O2 sensors before the CATS and two behind them.
  3. groundsmechanic

groundsmechanic LawnSite Member
    Male, from Lansing, MI

When the codes are read, there reader should show which number sensor is bad. The hardest part will be figuring out which sensor is which number. Some number them 1,2,3,4 with 1 being front left, 2 being front right, 3 is rear left and 4 is rear right. But others are 1 front left, 2 rear left, 3 front right and 4 rear right. You may be able to call the dealer and ask for the numbering system.

Chances are it will be one of your front ones since they are switching from rich to lean way more often than the rears. The fronts are what tell the computer about the rich/lean condition of the exhaust from the cylinders. The rears tell the computer how well the catalytic convertors are performing.

And I don't think $40 for front brakes are all bad at all. Try getting factory mopar pads, $$$$$.
  4. TimsLawnCareVA

TimsLawnCareVA LawnSite Senior Member

Thats all wrong. You will have a bank 1 sensor 1, bank 1 sensor 2, bank 2 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 2. Bank 1 is which ever side of the engine cylinder 1 is on. Just because you have an oxygen sensor code doesn't always mean the sensor is bad. Could be a rich or lean condition on one of the banks. At our shop many customers replace O2 sensor and it doesn't fix problem so they bring it to us.
  5. groundsmechanic

Male, from Lansing, MI

Wow, sorry. I guess you never make a mistake. You are correct about the numbering system. But a rich bank or a lean bank will not cause a sensor to go bad unless it is very rich and causes the sensor to plug up. In the shop I worked at, 99% of the time the sensor DID fix the problem. Maybe you work in a dodge dealer and they don't have as many problems with the actual sensors, but the GM garage I worked at, everyday, aparently they did.

I haven't worked in the auto repair field for a few years so I had forgotten the numbering system. No need to jump down my throat and say my information was ALL WRONG. Since it isn't. My description of the O2 sensors was not ALL WRONG, as well as how the fronts are the sensors that go bad most often.

But you probably already know all that. MikeKle, sorry for posting information that is ALL WRONG. TimsLawnCareVA is the master and you should always listen to him.
  6. TimsLawnCareVA

TimsLawnCareVA LawnSite Senior Member

I did not say a rich or lean condition would make a sensor go bad. A extremely lean or rich condition will cause it to set a code of sensor stuck lean or rich, thus setting a false code. It is best to scan and read data and properly diagnose instead of replacing parts. That seperates the technicians from the "parts changers". And by the way, I worked at a GM dealer for 8 years, but never for Dodge.
  7. groundsmechanic

Male, from Lansing, MI

I worked at a couple GM dealers for 6 years. When the heaters go out of the sensors, and the wiring is fine, then you replace. The original poster didn't mention what specifically the problem was with the sensor.

You did say I was ALL WRONG so, yeah, you did say what I said was wrong. kthanksbye.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You'll need an ohm meter and I'm not sure on the procedure but there is a way to test sensors via the connector.