1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2004 john deere 777 zero turn

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by dale m., Feb 20, 2008.

1. dale m.

dale m. LawnSite Member

I have a chance to buy a 2004 john deere 777 zero turn mower with 3300 hrs on it. I was wondering if $4,000.00 would be a good deal to buy this mower it has been re painted and in excellent shape well cared for. please give me some feed back on this. thanks!
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Those are fine machines but that is a lot of hours. New paint means very little in the way of dependability.

Remember, that's 3300 hours on the engine, spindles, wheel motors, etc.. $4000 seems a little strong unless he has proof the vast majority of these items have been recently replaced.

Look underneath the deck very closely. New paint could also hide patchwork on a deck with erosion holes.
  3. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

NO WAY! I only paid a little over 8 for a brand new unit. That is a gas unit & at or near the end of its engine life.
  4. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Way too pricey. Keep looking.
  5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

$1500 is about what that is worth. No telling what will go at 3300hours.
  6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Absolutely ... walk away and don't look back !!
  7. derekarbeiter

derekarbeiter LawnSite Member

Keep looking.
  8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

That is a lot of hours for that amount of money. I would be scared of it unless it had a new engine and hydro pumps. I have always heard that even if a machine has been taken care of about 2500 to 3000 max hours and its is worn out. I would not give more than about 1200 for this if that much.
  9. WildWill

WildWill LawnSite Member

Stunned that someone got 3300 hours on a Deere 777. I started having major issues with mine used residentially to mow 12 acres at only 330 hours (kamakaze pump blew its guts into a drive motor and it has never run right after three years of dealer hassles). the deck holds up but hydraulics are weak
  10. joe crumpler services

joe crumpler services LawnSite Member

With the exceptiion of Wild Bill's comments, I agree with the general consensus of everybody. It's not worth the money. You might want to pass on it unless you can buy it cheap, can get a cheap source for parts, are mechanically inclined, and want a project to occupy your limited free time.