1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2004 Motor Blew UP!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag52inch, May 21, 2006.

1. Scag52inch

Scag52inch LawnSite Member

I have a 52 inch walk behind scag that i purchased in July of 2004 and on thursday it blew up . Shot oil out all over the place at the bottom. Its a kohler 18 hp. It has a 2 year warranty that is not up for a month but the dealer took it apart and said "it looks like it was run low on oil" I just changed the oil a month ago and there is no way it should been low. They said the kohler rep would be by on Monday and he makes the final decision. Can they get away with not replacing it like that? What the f is the warranty 4?

Thanks for any response.
  2. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Do you ever check the oil level? You should be checking it DAILY as engines do burn oil. If it has been a month since you last checked your oil good luck...

The Kohler rep should be able to determine the exact cause. They are trained to do so.
  3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

How can they tell it was run low on oil? if there isnt much in the crankcase thats because it was shot out and leaked out after a hole was blown in the block correct? Go up to the dealership on monday and take a coke bottle full of used oil and pour it into the engine!!! that will trick em
  4. Scag52inch

I should check oil more but still blow up after 1 month? Thats crazy. I only mow grass 3 days a week. Basically the rep can tell anyone it looked low on oil then what is the purpose of the friggin warranty??? There has to be something people can do. 2 YEARS SHOULD MEAN 2 YEARS. PERIOD
  5. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

No need to "trick" anyone. One can easily tell if no oil has been used as the piston, cylinder wall, crank, connecting rod bearings, any of the engines internals will show signs of no oil.

Try to "trick" the dealer to get warranty work and he will "trick" you when he says you are up chit creek without a paddle...

2 yr warranty is great BUT not if abused (NOT checking oil EVERYTIME you use it is considered abuse).
  6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I hope you get the warranty to cover this.

But I agree with those they say you have to check the oil daily. The engine may have a leak somewhere--like around the filter etc. Cutting high thick grass will make it use more oil than usual. Over a month it can use a lot of oil under normal conditions. Dusty conditions can make matter worse.
  7. Scag52inch

If they decide not to cover it under warranty there is no way in hell im getting another kohler on the machine. Ill go with a Kawasaki v-twin. I have a kohler on my z but it is a v-twin. Kohler single cylinders are junk.
  8. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely 100% your fault, Sorry..

Defects happen, it may use too much oil... if that is that case you bring it into the dealer and he can resolve the issue....before it blows up costing them a motor.

You should check your oil every mow day.

And a month is not a short time of mowing even a couple days a week... There is only a quart and a half in the engine.

You really need to get with the program.
  9. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

All enignes are junk if you run the engine low on oil. No offense but....get a clue. You need to check your oil daily!
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I know exactly what the problem is:

You were running a conventional or standard motor oil.
    Doesn't matter how often it is changed if you're running regular oils, that is not good enough.
    This only had to happen to me one time before I learned, because I blew an engine, too.

So now I run at least a synthetic blend, sometimes full synthetic.

I change my oil once / season and yes I get laughed at for it but then my engines don't seize. If I check the oil great, if I forget it's no big deal but it's not just that: When you run your mower along hills and inclines, you starve the engine for oil and unless you're running a synth oil, you're asking for it every time.

I use synthetic blend in my bmw's as well. I change it twice / year, so it's actually cheaper in the long run, not to mention better.
    Greatest stuff in the world, I can redline my bmw and keep it there, as long as I want (and I've done it, 20 minutes at 7,500 rpm just to prove my point to someone wouldn't believe). I can let the oil run really low and still keep on getting it, for hours I can run an engine with no oil in it, thou I've never done it I may one day have an old motor I might try this out on, I did run my 4-cylinder down to a quart once by mistake, that engine runs strong today.

So, use a synth and never have an engine freeze again.
    And you relieve yourself of all that oil change hassle, if you're really worried you can change it mid-season.

As for checking the oil, what's that? If I check it once / month the engine got lucky I looked, I don't bother because for one I am forgetful, and for another I don't have to because synth is that good! Haven't seized a motor in 3 years, ever since I started using this stuff.