2004 PG Ultra + bad engine

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Apr 2, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Just got the word from our mechanic that the engine is shelled out on one of our two PG Ultras. Has just over 400 hours on it.

Question: I want to replace it with a Honda motor this time..... Do I need a horizontal shaft or vertical shaft engine? What size shaft? What horsepower do you recommend? Do you think the engine should have lasted more than 400 hours?.......(we change oil on a regualar basis with 10W-30 full synthetic motor oil). Reason I ask is cuz I'm picking up a new ride-on that is expected to last 800 hours and more with no breakdowns whatsover...engine should last for much much longer than what we have dealt with regarding our PG units.

rscvp, thanks :usflag:

2. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

OK now that you managed to get your turfco plug in lets see about that PG.
    04 has the 6.5 briggss vertical, so vertical is a must also must have the jack shaft to run the impeller..
    Briggs isn't my first choice because I think they are an occasional use engine fine for home owners but you are limited.

And you are using the wrong oil, that may be contributing to the decline

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Uh...I have the 2004 Ultra SE with over 400 hrs. Just had a little tune up done for the first time in 4 yrs. The motors anything but crapped out. In fact, it runs like a scalded ape!

4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

However, if you need a new motor and the original replacement is not your first choice. grassguy said he put kawasaki's on his.

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Its just like anything else!

Take a truck engine for example....

I have heard of some people changing engines after 100,000 miles and then next guy it might be 200,000.

Part of it has to do with maintenance, how it is used (or abused) and the biggest part of it is luck!

6. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

We have 3 Ultras, one with 1000 hours and two with almost 800 and all on the original engines. We also run 10w-30 Mobil 1 in them and have never had a problem. What broke on the engine? Rod? Crank? Valve train? What rpm are you running them at?

7. cat1

cat1 LawnSite Member
    from wi

I had to replace my motor at about 325 hrs. The engine lost compression and I needed up and running fast. I searched all over for a replacement. P.G. was the only place I could find it @ $550. It's a odd ball motor because of output for the spinner. If you find something that works let us know. Good luck.

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Crank broke apart. New Honda 6.5 GSV190 on the way.

9. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

American whats taking so long with this new machine

10. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

whats wrong with 10w 30? I think that is what is recommended or 5w 30.