1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2004 Toro Z MAster 72" cut blowing 20amp fuse

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ron1969, Jun 5, 2008.

1. ron1969

ron1969 LawnSite Member

I have a 2004 Toro Z master and about a week ago my guy called me and said the mower quit. He said it died like someone turned the mower off and it would not turn over at all like maybe one of the safty switched had failed. I get there and find the 20amp fuse uder the seat had blown. I replaced it and the mower started and mowed just fine. The following week (today) the mower quit again and my foreman changed the fuse and mowed several more hours. Then it quit again and he changed the fuse and now everytime he engages the blades the fuse blows and the mower dies......Any help would be greatly appreciated. I guess my initial thought is the clutch is pulling to many amps and blowing the fuse but the mower only has about 575 hours.......again any and all help will be appreaciated!!!
  2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

" he engages the blades the fuse blows"

You have a short in the PTO system. The PTO clutch pulls only about 5 AMPS. The first place I would check is right where the wires go in to the back of the clutch. This is where the short is more often than not.
  3. SAmorim

SAmorim LawnSite Member

I just had a fuse problem last night. correct with the PTO clutch area. my problem was a loose bolt on the metal arm bracket that holds the clutch plate in place. turned the wires around the clutch PTO area. set the arm bracket back in place tightened the bolt tape the wires runs like a champ. I hope this helps someone in the future. so simple once i figured it out but took a while to see it. happy mowing SA the farmer