2005 bobcat s-185 turbo

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by spydahead, Jun 14, 2007.

1. spydahead

spydahead LawnSite Member

any one have any experience with a s-185,good or bad? one is for sale near me with 798hrs.hydro hook ups,7pin elect.new tires, two brand new buckets,tooth+smooth.electronic instrument panel,standard controls.$17k what do you think?. thanks:

2. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

My first machine was an S-185 with about 800 hours. It got me started. It will do a lot. Sounds like a pretty good deal price-wise, too. What are you planning to do with it? How many hours a week do you plan to do different things with it?

3. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

i bot an 04 S185 about six months ago...no problems yet, same amount of hours as yours, ive put about 250 hours on it and its run great...i paid about the same as yours, sounds like its priced right for an 05 w/ low hours...id go for it

4. spydahead

thanks for the replies guys, i'll be going from a beat to h*ll 99 763 high flow,that seem's like i work on more than use.i do the tractor work for 3 different landscape co.+any one else who hires me. work the machine 3 to 4 days a week.

5. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 1 and a 4 time bc owner an 02 and still have it. Its been the worst machine i have had, little domb things happened. Last fall with 1700 hours chain drive went and while replacing wheel bearing with it tore down it cost me 2,200.00 for repair. 1 main thing check is flip the cab and main hyd. hose rubs against another part and it will break. This was a screw up for them, it happened to us and i placed a rad. hose around it like a piece of conduit. When this hose breaks you dont move no where and loose around 15 gal. of hyd. fluid quick makes one hell of a mess. We have seen this happen to 3 other machines. My opinion.
    Mike

6. spydahead

thanks for the reply mike,i will definitely ck for that hose.do you have any idea why the chain drive went on your bc/at 1700hrs? did it give you any warning? thanks for your time.

7. Mike33

I run steel tracks, thats puts more stress on the system. Also i have always used a backhoe attm. until now i have a 331. The hoe attm. is very heavy and throws more weight on the front drive which is bad. Take all of this togeather is not good. What happened was the 1 chain broke and we tried to keep on moving machine not knowing, thought a rock was wedged between the track. The chain was cheap but it messed up the drive gear very expensive and actually hit the other gear. I thought while it was tore down replace both sprockets and chain, like changing engines and not replacing the clutch. Then it was time for wheel bearings since it was tore down. But the bad thing all came to 2,200.00. I heard they changed that hyd hose just flip cab and make sure it is not rubbing, if so take it apart and put some kind of sleeve on it. Mine broke on a gravel driveway bad enough mess but if you was on concrete or something nice well you know the mess.
    Mike

8. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Had the right side drive hose break on mine, same thing: rubbing on the axle tube. I was pushing up hill, and all of a sudden an alarm goes off, a big ! shows up on the instrument panel, and I was no longer going anywhere. Got a local autoparts store to make up a replacement on Sunday and got it back together but it was a pain. Wrapping it with a radiator hose sounds like a smart "ounce of prevention".

9. spydahead

hey thanks for all the good info guys,it's greatly appreciated.:clapping: i'm going to go check this sucker out this sun. and if it looks ok,i think i'm going to go for it.let you know how it turns out. thanks again,thomas

10. Mike33

Coulld you imagine crossing a street and that happening:laugh: . I heard they corrected that issue my machine was a 02. I give my dealer crap when they do stupid things like that. Another issue i had they didnt have the flange right on the mufffler. Went to plow snow 1 night machine wouldnt start, thought it froze up because that has been a big issue with me too. Got looking exaust was going in to air filter clogging it. I have had so many time froze up, also fuel line is so small diameter it only takes a few drops of water. Then the jackass that created the grease fittings in the lower back side is a real pita also.
    Mike