1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

2005 Chevrolet Kodiak 5500 Crew Cab 4WD

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Ursushorribilus, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

Well, the diesel van I bought to pull my new 12,000 lb trailer, loaded with a new Kubota L48, turns out to be only rated to tow 7,500 lbs. So I'm pricing out the new 2005 4WD Kodiak 5500 with a Crew Cab and landscaper body with a dump, with the 300 hp Duramax diesel and Allison transmission. I like it, and will be dropping the down payment tomorrow to start getting it built. They will start production of this particular model in Flint in late January, so my dealer said I should get delivery in late February or early March if I put in my order now. I will be getting the first Crew Cab Kodiak ever sold at this particular dealership :) What colors do you guys like in a beast like this? I'm torn between Victory Red, Blue, and Tan. Boy, that Victory Red sure stands out, but that Blue is pretty. The Tan looks neutral, which, arguably, is more professional. But I kinda like the idea of pulling a big, ugly, orange brute of a tractor with a fiery red truck :drinkup :cool2:

2. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

We use any color that our employees want as long as it is white. Easier to maintain a fleet that way.

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here. Every truck/van is white. Looks more professional IMO. Easier to keep clean also.

4. Ursushorribilus

My original choice was white, because of heat issues, but then I got to thinking that I want to be noticed...you can see that red coming from way down the road:)

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Red, all my stuff is red.

6. bcx400

bcx400 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Are you getting the truck with the max gvwr? I know this truck can be ordered at a maximum 26,000 gvwr/26,000 gcwr. You could also upgrade to the allison 2200 automatic, (if you are going with an auto) which would be better for pulling.
    I am about to order either this same truck, or an International 4300. The International is a little more expensive, but has a bigger cab. I also need the truck to pull my Kubota L48. I will also be buying a 12,000 lb gvwr trailer. (cdl required, I know). Almost all the 10,000 lb trailers I looked at, plus the weight of the L48, would bring the total weight of the machine and trailer to over 10,000 lbs.

7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think the color of your truck should coincide with whatever your company color is. I would choose a color and start sticking with it.

8. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the International--why you ask??

Two words-- DT-466 'Nuff said.

9. Ursushorribilus

Yup, I got the maximum at 26,000. For my L48 I went to the 12,000 gvwr trailer, because at 7,700 lbs., the L48 plus the weight of the trailer went over 10,000, so I figured I be on the safe side and go with 12,000. Now I have to get myself a CDL

10. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

All of our trucks are white too, except for mine, it is dark blue (I realized I didnt want to pay for all of my trucks to be painted so I started going with white). If I were you I would go with tan or Blue, white is nice but everybodies trucks are white, I think the tan would be sharp, plus I feel it kinda goes with our industry. I still want to paint all of our trucks bright green.