2005 Chevy 4500 Dump? Opinions???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PROCUTSLAWNCARE, Jun 22, 2005.

1. PROCUTSLAWNCARE

PROCUTSLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Thinking about buying one of the 4500 dumps. Diesel motor, 4X4, 10 foot dump box. Anyone have any comments on this truck. Anyone own one?

Thanks

2. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

My buddy has one and loves it. Only thing he did not like is the height of body on the 4x4 model. Other than that he raves about it.

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Complaints: Oil leak, cramped footwells, cheap interior plastics rattle and break easily, stupid door design restricts entry with bulging speaker grilles, inoperative fuel guage at 8,000 miles.

Good: Engine and auto trans pull very well.

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

If you search this you'll see some other comments on these trucks. I've got a 4X4 5500 crew cab. I have not had any warranty issues. I will second the plastic interior and the door entry problem, although I don't have a big problem with it. I wish I got better fuel economy and another 100 horse and 200 pounds of torque, but what else is new. Simply an awesome looking truck. The 06 pickups (GM) will have a 6 speed tranny. I don't know if the 45-5500 will also get this, but it would help the economy. They don't have the same hp/torque ratings as the pickups (mine is 300/520 factory LLY motor I have got a programmer on mine and kicked it up 60 hp which added about 6 mpg to the mileage unloaded) the 05 pickups are 310/605. What I don't like most about the interior is lack of any storage that has a lid or door on it. You don't miss one until you don't have one. Even my Peterbilt has elastic map cases. I would wait for 06 and see what happens, unless you can get a killer deal. I paid 42,200 for mine bareback, pretty well loaded except I did not get the Alcoa's.

5. PROCUTSLAWNCARE

PROCUTSLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

They want, 47,000 out the door for the truck loaded and the 10 foot dump box. This post is for a buddy of mine wanting to buy this truck. I told him he better jump on that deal. Original price was 55K.

Thanks.

Oh this truck is not a 1 ton dump. It is very comparable to the International trucks. ( 2-3 ton) ?? Thing is huge....

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Actually it is about a ton.75 at 19500 GVW. If that is a regular cab I would look for further discounts. My MSRP was 58,600. I paid about 72% of MSRP. Now that it is at the end of the model year they should be anxious to get the 05's gone.

7. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Speaking of Internationals.....you probably could get a IH 4300 cheaper than a Chevy and have a better truck....(DT-466/Eaton Fuller), not sure if 4x4 is available or not though on the 4300's.