1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2005 Dodge Cummings Diesel 2500HD

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PROCUTSLAWNCARE, Aug 30, 2005.

Anybody own one of these trucks? If so could you please tell me if this is a good choice for a truck. I will be pulling my lawncare trailer with it and in the winter I will plow with it.

2. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

my cousin had one, nice truck he traded it in on a 05 dodge dually the dually had less than 2k miles on it and the motor blew (diesel) the dealer put a new motor in it then the tranny was acting up so he had the dealer buy it back and he got a 05 f350 dually (diesel) and the turbo blew right through the hood the dealer fixed it and he traded the ford in and now he has a chevy 2500hd (duramax diesel) he loves it he said his dodge 2500 was a nice truck but this new chevy has way more power.
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

My neighbor just bought one last month. He bought it for towing his 31ft camping trailer, he said you wouldn't even know its there. They have I think 365hp and 610 ft lbs of torque! Plenty of power for towing any size trailer.
    Plus he said he averages over 20 miles per gallon. towing or not.
  4. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

That fish was this <------------> big! Nice one.
  5. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

The turbo blew through the....? What? That would have to be a first.

I'd say that fish was <--------------------------------> this big! ;)
  6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

a chevy 2500hd (duramax diesel) he loves it he said his dodge 2500 was a nice truck but this new chevy has way more power.

I think the fish size is off the scale. :)
  7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Duramax has more power than a cummins??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..., whoops, sorry, I fell on the floor I was laughing so hard.
  8. cmckinney

cmckinney LawnSite Member

Duramax would beat the Dodge in a drag race and even up hills but for best fuel mileage and power the Cummins is the better engine. Leave the V8's to race cars and give me my I-6 to pull.

The Chevy has the better tranny Auto but for the money difference in the 2 trucks you can upgrade the Dodge 48RE transmission with a new torque converter and have all the power/torque put to the ground. Plenty of info on other forums such as TDR and DTR website about the Dodge.

9. efaubert1

efaubert1 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

In the realms of trailer pulling the new Dodge does great. My buddy has the 05 3500 Dually, and pulls a 36ft, 17,000 pound horse trailer weekly with it. For a 8,000 pound enclosed trailer including equipment I bet the 2500 would work great. And though a Ford lover I am, the Cummins is a great engine.
  10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 2500 srw 2wd with a auto cummins. Fast ass truck when you get into it. Only problem is the torque converter is really crappy. 1150$ for an aftermarket upgrade but it makes a world of difference.
    BTW, i think the fish was this
    <------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> big LOL