2005 Dodge Hemi?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MikeKle, Jun 11, 2008.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

While I had been looking for an Isuzu type truck,a friend of mine found a 2005 dodge hemi 4X4,4dr. long bed with 35K on it for $11,500. (car auction) although it is only a 1500, different searches I have done list the towing capacity as 8300lbs.and MPG of 13city/17hwy.I wanted to check lawnsite and see if anyone uses the dodge hemi combo and get their impressions,but for that price I am inclined to buy.

2. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

Does that have a lifetime powertrain warranty? If so, then I would get it, because that is extremely valuable. The 5.7L HEMI V8 is supposedly Chrysler's best engine (the only other reliable Chrysler engines being the 3.9L Slant-6, the 5.2L 318 Magnum V8, and the 3.9L Magnum V6). It doesn't get good fuel mileage at all though, only 17 mpg on the highway. A Chevrolet 1500 for the same year with the 5.3L V8 gets 20 mpg hwy. by comparison. If it doesn't have the lifetime powertrain warranty, I would not get it, because the Dodge automatic transmission is extremely trouble prone, weak, and short lived. It might survive if you don't rev it hard, and change the fluid extremely frequently. I have read that you have to change the transmission fluid every 6 months just to keep it in good shape. It is a nice combination in a truck though. Just know that the truck itself is poorly made in comparison to a Ford or Chevrolet.

3. newdude

newdude LawnSite Member

lifetime is only on 2008 or newer.

4. railman

railman LawnSite Member

get it. that is a good deal. i love my truck. i also pull a 33 foot camper trailer with mine and the camper doesn't even fell like its there when im pulling up hill