2005 F350 diesel question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by volranger, Nov 3, 2004.

1. volranger

volranger LawnSite Member

I am looking at a 05 F350 diesel with a manual transmission. Does anyone have any knowledge or opinion on the Super Dutys with manual transmissions? Thanks.
  2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Power Stroke is awesome. I'm about to get a leftover '04 F-250 PSD with the Torqshift in it. I've driven it for 300 miles over a couple days and it's awesome. Just gotta wait for my gas '95 F-250 to sell before I can get it.
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I've test driven several. Personally I'd rather have an automatic.
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious as to why you are looking at one with a manual trans. Maybe you have specific reasons, but there are a lot more pros to having an auto trans as opposed to a manual.
  5. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

What are the pros of an auto? I have both and prefer the manual.... both fords. Just curious. Matt
  6. Smalltimer1

Do you have the Torqshift? If you don't, I can understand why you like the stick. But if you've driven one with the TS--you'll never go back to stick. I used to prefer stick til I drove a TS.
  7. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

YIKES! i hate manuals in trucks, especially fords, (I am a ford truck guy though :waving: ) the throw on those things is HUGE :dizzy: to much work ill stick with the automatics

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Manuals work better in the mountains and on the highways. I still like the automatics for employees because everyone drives a stick different and the money you save from blowing transmissions with automatics you waste replacing clutches, which, are not warranteed. If you can trust your drivers, stick is the way to go, but for overall consistancy, automatic works.

I would strongly advise anyone from jumping on one of the torqueshifts until they get a few years of towing and snow plowing reports back in. They should just put the C-6 back in the trucks and have a manual shift over drive for the higway simply because that tranny is proven. Tel me how great they are after 100,000 miles and 4 wonters of plowing heavy snow, or pulling heavy trailers up and down hilly regions. After a favorable report, I'm all ears.
    I would also offer this same advice to anyone buying any brand with a new part as critical as a tranny.
  9. Smalltimer1

The TS has already been out for close to 3 years. There hasn't been any widespread problems with it yet. The one I'm getting is an '04. I drove it for 300 miles and it is an awesome transmission. It blows away the E40D and 4R100 in all aspects, as well as the 48RE and really puts the Allison-1000 and its solenoid failures to shame.
  10. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

The auto I have is in a 96 F250.... E4OD. I didn't have any problems with it and has 147,000 miles on it. I hope I didn't jinx it. I tow a 8x18 enclosed with it daily. The manual is in a 89 superduty... 5 speed. The throws are long but for towing , especially hills, you can't beat it. My opinion. I don't plow with either and don't have employees that drive the trucks. It's my wife and I, she uses one truck and I have the other most days. Maybe I'm just being old fashioned but I have this "mindset" that manuals are stronger. Thanks for the replies. Matt