2005 Ferris 52" DD, 17 HP. Whats it worth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mattfromNY, Jul 20, 2007.

1. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2005 Ferris 52" Hydro DD 17 horsepower, no electric start, with a sulky, with less than 200 hours on it. It is owned by a homeowner, and it has only mowed his 1/2 acre lawn. It is for sale for $3k. I used it on my route last week, and it is just like new, absolutely nothing wrong with it. I am wondering if you guys think it is a fair deal or not. Obviously you cant see it, and it is hard to give an accurate estimate, but does it sound in the ball park?? Any input is appreciated.
    Matt.

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would offer him 2k cash.... 3k is probably fair, but I like to get a deal.

3. mattfromNY

Thanks Lawnworks, Anyone else? .... Rod? I know you've had a few, do you sell them or trade 'em in??
    Anyone, Anyone, Bueller, Bueller????

4. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

$3000 is a good deal for that machine. Any cheaper is a plus on your part.

5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

You could probably get it for around 2.

6. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Not bad price as it is. I paid $7k new in 05.

Tim

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

That is a great deal matt. That mower and sulky would run me around $5400 brand new. 200 hours is nothing. Only thing is the warranty is gonna run out this year. But I wouldn't worry about it with tht little usage.

Good luck!

8. roguesuerte

roguesuerte LawnSite Member

We have two of them but with 23 HP kawi. Best/ most trouble free mowers we have, and they stripe awesome. We paid about $5500 new and ours have to have at least 6,000 hrs on them. Homeowner use of about 200 is hardly broken in. Seems like a good deal but it wouldnt hurt $2800 and buy yourself a new wacker or edger.

9. mattfromNY

Thanks for all the input, guys! I know the guy pretty well, and I'll see what I can do. I'll let you all know how I make out.

10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

either way 3 grand is a deal for a commercial wb of that size and hrs, even better was the fact that it was only used once a week on a 1/2 acre. good luck on the buy.