2005 Ford F-250

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mrsops, Jun 14, 2010.

1. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys I've been having an on going problem with my personal pick up truck wondering if you guys are having this same problem or someone can help me out on this matter. This truck has to be the worst driving truck I've ever been in. It bounces and jumps all over the road especially if i hit a pot hole. I don't know why but this truck actually hurts my back from all the bouncing around.

I mean all we buy is fords and there great work trucks there built right, i mean i don't know someone told me to put rancho shocks in and i wont have this problem need some help on this because the ride of this truck sucks.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Did you replace the steering stabilizer?

3. mrsops

No I havent mark

4. Mark Oomkes

Start there, it's called the death wobble. Fords and Dodges have it, not all of them, but both brands do.

5. mrsops

Death wobble you aint kidding, i cant tell you how many times i hit a pot hole and the truck actually jumps into the other lane. Its scary as hell.

what exactly is the steering stabilizer?

6. Mark Oomkes

I'm no expert, but it's basically a shock mounted horizontally between the axle and the tie rod.

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You want to replace the steering stabilizer and you want to check the panhard bar bushings also check the radius arm bushings.

Any truck with a monobeam front axle like a 4x4 Ford or Dodge or a 450/550 4500/5500 truck will get death wobble.

8. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

It happened to me today in my truck. Every time it has happened has been because one of the steering tires is bad so I am replacing it tommarow. I was doing 75 down the highway and hit some pot holes on a bridge the thing shook all over till I slowed down to about 50.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. jwsland

jwsland LawnSite Member

i have owned two f.350 diesels, old one an 05, current 06, both with coils up-front. i had this problem. its called death wobble and many things can cause it. Check everything out under there. Trac-arm seems to be a common problem, also get your tires re-balanced, might be something that simple. steering rod, the one with the ball joint on it could be shot. A bad steering stabilizer rarely will cause the death wobble your describing. hopefully it isnt anything in the 4wd assembly like your u-joints. Keep us posted.

10. Mark Oomkes

Really?

Funny how on the truck sites the first thing everyone suggests to replace is the stabilizer when someone experiences death wobble.

Good idea to have all the front end components checked, but this is the easiest and most common solution to the problem.