2005 Northeast rates

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ztoro, Apr 1, 2005.

1. ACE LANDSCAPING L.L.C.

ACE LANDSCAPING L.L.C. LawnSite Member

i'm new to the landscape business and this thread has been helpful, i wasn't sure how to charcge people for mulch beds. how do you figure the how much a yard is gonna cover? is it by the square foot? like you know 1 yard will cover like a a 6 x 6 area so 36sqft? also is this for a new bed from scratch or a bed that needs refreshing? also how do you guys charge for spring cleanups? do you just do a hourly rate and figure how long you'll be there or do you figure your mowing rates in? like i've heard people say double your mowing price for aeration. is $30 - $40 an hour per person sound legit for a spring clean-up?

thanks bill

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Ace do a search, there is a ton of useful info. For us (spring and fall clean-ups) I charge $150 per hour. But thats 3 guys and equipment.

3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

1 yard of mulch will cover about 165 sq feet I believe to a depth of 3".

4. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

NOPE! 108 square feet at 3"

5. JLawn

JLawn LawnSite Member

When you guys say bed prep, what exactly does that mean for an established bed? Also, is it reasonable to do mulch first and then go back and add in plants? I have a customer that wants mulch and hasn't decided yet on what they want to plant.

Thanks!

6. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

7. theyardstop

theyardstop LawnSite Member

I charge:

20.00 per yd to lay only. ( mulch, topsoil),,, the cost of the material it's self is then added to it. if the customer wants the cheap stuff.. 15 a yd.. or the expensive 30.00 yd stuff doesnt matter to me. I still want my 20 to rake it out.
    prep work is completly different.. some beds may only need "freshed up" while others may need exstinsive work edging, tilling, weeding ,, etc..

I try to base my quotes to the customer at 50.00 per man per hr. and then when where there actully working I constintly push my self to better that to make more per hr by working faster.
    :p

8. gil

gil LawnSite Member

I think $50 is the average per hour. I have been doing some research around the north-shore and that is what customers are paying by the hour. (just for the labor)

9. Green Quality

Green Quality LawnSite Member

wow! all the prices are cheap! I charge $80 a cubic yard,and $30 a hour labor rate, why are guys so cheap!

10. Green Quality

Green Quality LawnSite Member

How could you charge $30 a yard and install at that price, where is your profit,I know,it all goes for your gas! to drive to the next job.do any of you have insurance ? bills to pay? this called making a living! not just getting bye! :dizzy: