2005 Price Increases

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Broker, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Has everyone checked out 2005 prices from their suppliers yet??? If so what increases have you seen. I have seen a noticable jump in pipe. Lasco fittings went up 5%. Some companies in the area have not received a answer for their H2B workers yet. One of my suppliers tried to increase everything by 5%. But since he is going to be my main supplier he kept the pricing the same as 04. John Deere does not want to deal with me after I told their head salesman to F-off after he was in my office one day and I took a call from a worker and when I got off of the phone he asked if that was a unhappy customer. I lost it, I told John Deere if "Pat Ferrell" was the best saleperson they had then I don't want to do business with them. I also told them that I was getting Rain Bird 5004pc's for and his best price was two bucks more each. And that was last year, this year their price is 3 bucks more.

2. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

the john deere rep in northern nj is sounds like he is cooler than the one you have.

oh, yeah...shemins is running a deal with those rainbirds 5004....buy 2 cases, get one free.

brian

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

This winter I sent a list of about 20 different components I wanted priced from my 3 suppliers. The place that I prefer to shop was higher than everyone else on just about everything. Since my company is only service and repair I can't go to them and demand lower prices because my quantity is not very high. So I am now making more purchases based on price and not so much on personal decisions - mainly who works at which place.

Our Febco prices are going up about 5-6% in April. And yes, pipe has definitely jumped up, PVC more than poly from what I've seen. But PVC was going up the last 2 years as well. I haven't seen a big price increase from Rainbird or Hunter though. You install guys might have.

4. Broker

I have not heard that about Febco. We are considering switching from Wilkins to Febco because of their new union models.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Febco increases may just be local. 2 of the suppliers both told me about it though.

6. MDGreen

MDGreen LawnSite Member
    from NY, NY

RI in Ohio, have you filled your vehicle with fuel in the last month, prices are up everywhere? We are paying over $2.25 in the metro NY area. Guess you don't read any newsworthy publications either? H2B has been a governmental mess this year. You can thank your elected official for that problem. Most contractors in the green industry did not recieve any labor this season...
    Unfortunately price increases are the way of the world, some times you have to pass them along to your customer!

7. Broker

Thankfully I don't have to worry about the H2B program so any problems other companies have with that are my gain. Concerning gas prices yeah they are around 2.20 which will be passed on. I know that things go up in price every year. But I can still buy my 5004's @ 6.7 & PGP's @ 7.45 so I am happy. We do raise prices every year because if you are happy making the same amount every year you have no ambition so work from someone instead of for yourself. The thread was obvisouly not complaining about any increases it was to see if people shop their prices. Most companies don't care and just buy from their supplier and @ whatever price. Not a good business move. Once we shoped around and found the best price we now save roughly 25% so one out of every four jobs the materials are free. I am trying to help.

8. MDGreen

MDGreen LawnSite Member
    from NY, NY

That makes sense, hope those suppliers can give you on site support and help you when you have an issue? But, price is the only thing that matters, right? This stuff never breaks down? I hope you have a uneventful season or have any equipment failures.

Speaking of ambition, most contractors don't give themselves a raise every year, glad to see you give yourself one. That's a good business move.

As far as product cost, they go up, and so does my salary if I provide my customers with good services, value added extras and competitive pricing...

9. Broker

We are both on the same page. Of course stuff breaks down, I just had a meeting with the regional Rain Bird rep over a bad batch of rotors from last summer. We traded in a maxi two years ago for a new one and that thing has spent more time in the shop then our old one, so equipment failures is a sore subject to me. Have a good year.