2005 Wally World trimmer line

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Jul 24, 2005.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I have always purchased my 0.95 trimmer line from Walmart. (years) It is inexpensive and as effective as anything else I have used, which is usually double the price. I'm not sure why, but this year's batch (5) spools seems to be brittle and breaks constantly when edging sidewalks. Has anyone else had this problem?

Can anyone make a recommendation for a quality trimmer line that is durable and affordably priced? I do a lot of perpendicular sidewalk edging on every client's property.

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you tried soaking the line in water before using it? I bought some of the Pulverizer line at Wal-mart, soaked it for a couple of days, and it has performed well.

3. OnMyOwn

Thanks for the tip. I assume this just softens the line for a short-time?

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Someone suggested using armorall for a faster time in softening up old line. Never tried that one but yes water will work.

5. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

We've noticed that no matter what brand or where we buy it trimmer line seems to vary greatly in how brittle it is. Some seems indestructible and others just disappear at the slightest use even in grass.

6. OnMyOwn

Wouldn't it be nice if they placed a mfg. date on the trimmer line spools? I bet it sits on shelves for years between factory / distributor / retailer / (seasonal) on and off the shelf before we buy it.

I never really thought about it before.

7. Cutter LLC

Cutter LLC LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Wouldn't it be nice if they placed a mfg. date on the trimmer line spools? I bet it sits on shelves for years between factory / distributor / retailer / (seasonal) on and off the shelf before we buy it.

Like a born on date for your beer. Great idea!

8. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

but we used a triangular shaped line that seemed to act as an airfoil. When we throttled up we could feel the head lifting a little and then falling as we throttled down.

9. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I use the Walmart trimmer line for the same reasons. Have not had any trouble with breakage or brittleness. The line I got last year was Shakespeare with "titanium". Couldn't find that this year though, although it was still a Shakespeare product. I bought a pretty good supply this year. The line this year seems a lot "softer" to me, but still much better than anything else I have found. I usually just take the Stihl line off the new spools, it is so bad.

10. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I was tired of the nylon junk, and that includes echo crossfire, husky titanium (breaks off easily), stihl, and all the others...so I took some advice and bought a 1 lb. package of the Square Magnum Gatorline from Oregon...Aramid reinforced on the outside (same material used in bullet proof vests and to reinforce high quality tires) and a core material for strength...I trimmed all day, property after property, and came home with a great deal of line left...I had to bump the head a few times, but that was it! The 3 lb role is around 35 dollars and is worth every penny...it is strong and I completed a BRUSH JOB with it the other day...I took out brush with it if that can be imagined...That is some wicked stuff...to the heck with wally world and their junk they carry...