2006 cat 257b mtl 60 hrs in ct

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Planet Landscaping, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

2006 cat 257b mtl, All options,60hrs,Still under warrenty,Used only in snow(There was none this year). Still smells new. $37,500.
  2. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

That doesn't sound too bad of a price. Just make sure you read EVERY thread here concerning those machines and make an educated purchase. Good luck.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

257's are underpowered. I guess it depends on what you're doing, but I'd be disappointed if I owned one. Price is good. If you can cover the operating costs of the undercarriage, I say go for it, but I think more than half the guys that buy Cat MTL's don't realize that there is actually some maintenance involved with the undercarriage and they are more expensive to keep running. Just keep that in mind.
  4. ProLandscapes

ProLandscapes LawnSite Member

I am used to running Case 1840's so how much power do the 257B's have compared to that? I would imagine quite allot more because they have a bigger motor and a turbo. What do you think? Rubber tracks are a necessity here with the weather weather and terrain.
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

The power to weight ratio is crap on the 257. Our 216 has 48 HP and it weighs 6,100 pounds. The 257 has a turbo and 9 more horsepower, but it weighs another 1,800 pounds, plus it's running a tracked undercarriage which hogs a little more power. IMO, the 257 needs at least 70 HP to be sufficient and a larger turbo. The 277 and 287 are well powered at 78 HP, but I still think they need to be bumped up to about 85 HP. We'll see what the C series entails.
  6. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

297C...seen some pic's of the new C series....performance, cab, visibility all seem to be improved.....that 297C will be salty in pricing no doubt...
  7. ians06

ians06 LawnSite Member

I run the 247b, and it weighs less than the 257b which has the same engine. My machine has great power compared to other machines in the HP/weight class, also when companies compare HP,Breakout, many times you are not comparing apples to apples. So with that in mind try to demo some comparable machines and see if that particular machine will work for you. When you read these forums its fun to watch and see what some of the "brand loyals" have to say about other brands. I have a friend that owns a very successful landscape business and runs a 257b, he has over 1000 hrs on a set of orig. tracks and still has very good life left.(and he does not take very good care of it), but i've heard of them needing replaced at as low as600hrs. If you have any questions about what I run feel free to ask. Good luck!!
  8. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I,m am selling it for $37500, Its only been used in snow. Still smells new(No snow this year)
  9. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

do you have pictures from machine :usflag:
  10. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why are you selling it so soon?