2006 Chev 2500 Durmax Fuel Pump.school me

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ed2hess, Jun 28, 2013.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Truck started losing prime again after running two weeks no problem and with clean filter. If I assume I need a fuel pump what do they cost? Second question can I just put a air dog on and leave the std fuel pump?

I did get an engine check lite on for a few seconds once. I can prime it to start but then it will stumble and stop sometimes. It takes 60 good pumps to go. Truck has 50K and had new set of injectors 2 years ago in JULY.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Let me tell you what I learned. Durmax has no fuel pump in the gas tank. It has a mechical device up on the engine that pulls in fuel. It is like a sucking device and if for some reason it gets air in the line it won't start. They have a priming pump and you pump it up and away you go. After I looked closely at my primer it had leaking fuel on top of it and that is a problem. I got a $180 pump and put it in today. Pumped it up and it started, let it sit for 10 minuetes it started. So I will see tomorrow morning.

3. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

That is strange, unless it's a carbureted truck.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

diesel......got a mechanical device on engine but I don't remember the name of it.

5. Mt. Zion Lawn Care

Mt. Zion Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Injector pump?

Had a recent prob similiar to this one on an ole case ih tractor on the farm. Pulled injector pump off, had it overhauled (also had it hotrodded :drinkup: ), but that fixed my problem.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think durmax is a little different their "pump" puts the fuel on rails that are hooked to injectors....i think

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

A little goggle action to find it again.

A duramax has a high pressure common rail pump called a cp3. It sucks fuel from the tank through your fuel lines.

8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

From the fuel tank to the injector pump there is a lift pump. I believe the common rail fuel pumps do away with the lift pump.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That is correct that is why some suggest putting on a lift pump when you have a problem with losing prime. If the new prime pump don't fix the problem I am going to do that and then I get some additional filtering that some say is a good thing.

10. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

dodge has a common rail cp3 set up, but also utilizes a lift pump in the tank to feed the cp3. you could(and probably should) add an airdog to help with this. get the setup that has filters and everything and you'll be good to go. however, i do remember reading that lots of guys are having problems with airdog, do your research, i think FASS makes a system also