2006 Chev Duramax Diesel Problem

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ed2hess, Jul 26, 2011.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This truck had all injectors put in by Chev around Dec 2011. Now we have found that it burned/lost 4 quarts of oil between oil changes. Do you think there could be any connection between the work they did in putting all 8 injectors in and this oil use? Our mileage is very low maybe 8 K a year.

2. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Ed you need to subscribe to one of the Duramax forums. It's a good way to find out what problems Dmax's from different years had. I'm a six in a row guy so I'm only familiar with Cummins Forum and TDR.

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

does anyone think 8k for injectors and fuel rails sounds a little off?

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yes that is a good idea. Thanks

5. scotts lawn care

scotts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

Duramaxforum is great for anything chevy or GMC - Duramax.......:weightlifter:

6. User Name Taken

User Name Taken LawnSite Member

Duramax forum is a joke really, too many keyboard cowboys. DuramaxDiesels.com or Dieselplace.com will get you the answers you need with minimal BS.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks didn't take me long to conclude what you say.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

One Last paragraph on this....today I was at a chev dealer(not the one that worked on our truck) and their greeter(just like Walmart) started talking with me. Turns out he was the president of this company but retired and came back to work free in the repair lounge. I told him about our problem in getting 8 injectors. He walked me back to their repair stock and they only had two. He asked why and they said it was a $800 item.:dizzy::dizzy: Can that be true that a set of 8 injectors would cost $6400 + install from chev:dizzy::dizzy:

9. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

The aftermarket injectors can be $4500 - $5500 a set so GM charging $6400 would not be a surprise. The Cummins injectors which are also Bosh units cost half as much to replace and are extremely reliable. Usually, it was only the early years of the Dmax where the injectors were a big problem.

My 02', 06, and 09' Cummins powered Rams have never needed any injectors. You need to find a good Diesel mechanic to handle any non-warranty type work.

10. User Name Taken

User Name Taken LawnSite Member

last set I bought was $1800 + 200 for the install kit . Seriously, 800 for 1 ?!?!?!?