1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2006 Exmark Metro 26"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Jul 26, 2006.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has used or owns a 2006 Exmark Metro 26" with all of the upgrades. I had an 05 Metro 26", with all of the failings, until Exmark mercifully took it back in the spring. If you do own, an 06 version, how has the unit made out? I'm particularly interested in how it mulches since that was one of the biggest defects on the 05 version.

2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Do not buy a 2006 Metro 26!! I had one this year (2006) still has the same problems. It still leaves the strip of cut grass on the right side of the machine. Plus the belt that drives the blades breaks after every ten hours or so, had to replace mine four times. Luckily Exmark bought it back and I put that money towards a Metro 36. Do not buy another. I hope Honda takes advantage and shows Exmark who the real boss is in small walkbehinds.
  3. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

i talked to a lco yesterday i flagged him down just to ask him how his exmark 26 ran , he said his runs fine and cuts fine but it is so heavy it will stall out and die going up a moderate hill. He also said its ard to maunver in tight spot's, but over all e likes it ad as ad o problems with te belts or the drive cable sapping.
  4. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

sorry the post is hard to read my keyboard isnt working quite right skipping h's and y's
  5. BillWil

BillWil LawnSite Member

It is heavy and it needs more power. I had the 2005 and just tried the 2006 for a day. The 2006 isn't any easier to turn and it seemed to me that it wasn't cutting well it wet grass. I will say it seemed to go up a hill better that the 2005. I went back over one lawn, I cut very early in the day with a 21, because the cut on the wet didn't meet my standards. I really like the idea of something bigger than a 21 but I want it to be easier to handle and I want more power.
  6. D & J Lawn Care

D & J Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I'm really glad we have this web site the feedback like about the metro 26 probally saved me alot of money
  7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I wonder if the Metro 26 would be easier to turn with castoring front wheels.
  8. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

just finished replying to another post.

We have sold a bunch of the 06 models with no problems. I will tell you this, there has been a couple 05 models mixed in with the 06 stock, and this is the distributors fault, not Exmark or the dealer's.

The only complaint about the machine is that is so big and heavy. Hello???? You didn't notice that on the sales floor???????

Funny thing about the comment on the caster wheels........some one actually asked me in the store today if it had that option. I have to thing that would add alot more weight for exmark to put ample casters on there.
  9. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Yep...good post.

Here's the deal.....

All you lawnsite people can listen to the guys who have paid money for and used the 26 Exmark for hours on end, or you can listen to the guy who SELLS and makes money SELLING the 26 Exmark.

Sorry talli-whatever....

Just trying to help out the guys who are possibly considering buying this piece of crap lawn mower.

Save your money and look elsewhere. As stated before, Exmark and anyone selling this mower should be ashamed of themselves.
  10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

would be easier, but, it would make the machine longer and you would have to turn it with all four wheels on the ground which makes turning it in tight spots a pain and since the casters require long arms to support them, you loose quite a bit of front trim ability and that's a problem considering those small mowers are designed to cut in small places and close to things