2006 ford 350 6.0 diesel smoking?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Brianj, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

i have 2006 f-350 with 30,000 miles on it, i filled up with with fuel and on my way home it started smoking bad with white smoke, it was smoking alot when i was stopped at red lights, what could be the cause?

2. Duramax8832

Duramax8832 LawnSite Member

Call the Dealer! White smoke is Bad..My guess would be crappy fuel.. Has it ever done it before? Do you buy fuel from the same station?

3. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

heavy white smoke usually means head gaskets...it could also mean u made a big mistake buying a powerchoke.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

headgasket! call the dealer and have them tow it in.

5. kl680

kl680 LawnSite Member

I had this happen in Dec. it was the egr. cooling tube, cost $ 100.00 for deductible and on down the road. Mine started after I filled up, thought it was bad gas also. Good luck

6. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

A buddy of mine just had this happen to him. From what he found out the 6.0 have had a little problem with the head gaskets. His was doing exactly what you are describing. Anyway you are lucky that you have 30,000 mi he was already out of his waranty and i will say it cost him a lot of money i think the bill was somewhere around 3 grand

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Hold on a second. Just in case, had you been idling for quite a while before this occured? 6.0's will really put out some white smoke when they've idled for a while and then you start down the road. Common occurence.

Now if it's pouring out the white smoke, then it might be warranty time.:confused:

8. AllProLC

AllProLC LawnSite Member

I have 03' GMC Duramax Diesel that no one can figure out why it blows white smoke. Been to 3 dealerships...no loss of power, pressure,etc...replaced all kinds of filters , breathers, Injectors... if anybody has a suggestion let me know

9. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

like previously stated it is your egr valve, I have noticed that being diligent about using diesel clean really helps with the fuel issues.

10. BigRick

BigRick LawnSite Member

tell him that when he gets a 6.4L Stroker with the new tranny, 1000 stock torque and pulls your a** all around town. haha