1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2006 lawn boy commercial series?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by barcode148, May 14, 2006.

1. barcode148

barcode148 LawnSite Member

Obviously in the past lawn boy has made the commercial series famous. But now since the strict emissions laws the two cycle is out of production. My question is are the 2006 models still commercial grade and will they hold up to high mowing standards? Thank you.

p.s. i will be hopefully mowing around 60 yards a week.
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Get a 36" WB if your looking for something small with that number of lawns
  3. barcode148

im already planning on a 36'' wb but i still will need a 21'' for some areas so any other comments on the lawnboys are welcomed thank you
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

But why would you need a push mower? We do over 70 lawns a week and dont even own a push mower. Just curious thats all.
  5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Lawnboy is nothing but JUNK IMO. We have a 21" and never use it!!! Just go out and buy yourself a real com mower.....good luck:waving:
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

If you really need a 21 then i really like the home depot hondas, great mowers IMO. i guess i can see the need for it if some of your props have some tight places or raised grass areas like my commercial account and a few of my residentials have.
  7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

ProStreet ... I am not sure where Barcode ... is located exactly, but I am in the same area. Yes - most likely he does need a hand mower, the terrain requires them. I don't know of a single LCO in my area without one or two hand mowers on the trailer, most are LB DuraForce (orange tank). We use ours at least 5 service hours per day, running through about 5 gallon of mixed fuel each week.

To return to his question ... Has anybody bought/used the B&S 4 cycle model for 2006? If so, what are the experiences? Is the engine a one-for-one replacement for the 2 cycle DuraForce engine? Or, are the mounting holes and diameters different? I always feel that mine will fail at any time -- and want to know my options for replacement BEFORE it happens. DuraForce 2 cycles are so less reliable than the old 2 cycle LB engines.
  8. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

Good point. What can a 21" do that a 36 or 32 can't, and how often would you use it?
  9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

for the price of a 06 comm lawnboy -you can buy a new john deere jx75 which is a lot better mower. the comm lawnboy uses a homeowner trans. what made the comm lawn boy so good was the super strong 2cycle engine. the quantum i/c (which it now uses) is a weak but reliable preformer.
  10. barcode148

thanks for the responses. i am located in westmoreland county for those of you who know where that is and definitly need a 21''. I am not really near a john deere dealer which would serve as a problem. i do however have easy access to honda and toro. of their commercial series which of the two would you choose. (the toro would have the kawasaki with bbc and the honda would also have the bbc.)