2006 Lazer with 30 hp kohler

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by MJM landscaping, Apr 19, 2006.

1. MJM landscaping

MJM landscaping LawnSite Member

I just bought one and when I picked it up the dealer told me it is cold blooded. That would be an understatement. You have to let it sit there with the throttle pretty high for a couple of mintues before you even think about engaging the blades. Even after using it is for a while then shutting it off, wait 10 minutes you have to let it warm up again.

Also it backfires alot, when you engage the blades if the engine blogs it back fires. Shut it off without letting it idle for more that 20 seconds, it backfires.

I talked to my dealer and I knew it was the first year for this engine but I guess to sum it up, I'm not that impressed at all.

Anyone else running into these problems??

2. MJM landscaping

apparently not

3. lazer9284

lazer9284 LawnSite Member
    from florida

ask your dealer to call exmark. there was a memo about that and you may get a new carb from kohler like i did and it works 10 times better now. night and day difference

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Todays newer engines are running leaner than ever before....That might explain the "cold bloodedness" part. But the other symptoms your complaining about are not new to lawnmower engines (stalling when engaging PTO and backfiring at shutdown). Here is how I deal with these two issues:

When cold, and trying to engage PTO: Move throttle to 1/3 throttle, and pull choke out until it just starts to sputter. Then engage PTO. It works.

When shutting down to avoid nasty backfires: Pull onto trailer, throttle down. Get off, raise gate, strap it down, then reach over and simultaneously shutting ignition off and giving 1/2 throttle. Once again....It works.

5. MJM landscaping

Well they made an adjustment on the carb something with the throttle cable I believe. Didn't do a thing. Any other thoughts Exmark??

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello MJM landscaping,
    Please give our Service dept. a call at 1-402-223-6375.
    Brian

7. mdff17

mdff17 LawnSite Member

I am having the same problem as MJM. My machine has been back to the dealer twice now with no fix. Is it true there is a memo about carb replacment to cure the stalling and backfiring problem. Mine is under such a load when I engage the PTO it is throwing the belt off.

Thanks, Mike

8. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello Mike,
    Sorry to hear about your mower problems. Could you please call the Exmark Customer Service Dept. at 402-223-6275. We have a couple of possibilities to remedy your engine issue and should be able to fix any belt problem.
    Thanks Brian

9. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

Kohler is aware of this problem. Aparently this is happening on some models, and not on others. From what I am being told from a kohler rep, there is no fix for us in the field. The problem is happening to both the horizontal and the vertical shaft version of this engine. The same rep told me Kohler is working on the problem right now and should have a fix pretty soon. He said the problem appears to be in the two barrell carb, but did not know for sure.

Some manufactures using this new engine have stopped production until Kohler fixes this? Is eXmark still building this?

10. Distorted

Distorted LawnSite Platinum Member

I tried a Ferris IS-3100Z 60" with that engine before I bought, and experienced decided bogging while test mowing, plus it almost died when engaging the blades. For that reason and others I went with the EXmark Z XS 66" with the 31hp Vanguard. I was later told by the dealer that the Ferris rep switched the carb and fixed the faulty model I tested.

I have had no similar problems with the Vanguard, which is sweeet. I'm thinkin' about now that my instincts were correct, and the problems were endemic with the Kohler 30 rather than just a fresh engine.