2006 Perma-Green MAGNUM

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by OSL Inc., Jul 18, 2006.

1. OSL  Inc.

OSL Inc. LawnSite Member

looking hard at it, thinking about pulling the trigger for a number of reasons, but this division of our company is small now and needs to grow, the profit margins are too high not too. We are going more commercial now, so this would be a wise investment, we still do high number of residentials 5-10 K sqft, but again, going more commercial.

I am worried about a few things.

#1 Has the new version 2006 magnum PG been revised to fix major complaint I heard re: the small leaf broadleafweed control (spray nozzels) aren't very effective, possible pump issue?

#2 What does the carrier (reese hitch) cost and could I use that on a F350 and put a 200 gal. tank in the back for fill ups and getting weeds along edges. (I am looking to get rid of backpaks if possible)

#3 Would you choose the new PG model or another brand, why? I think the Lesco Z2 is too big and too much for our current budget.

Also, anyone use the Lesco hydro spreader with good results (although I know it has no sprayer)

Thanks for the advice!

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have a 05 magnum (same as 06) and have had great results with it! they fixed the sprayer problems with a 2 gpm pump that is belt driven so it eliminated the elect. problems they had with earlier models, I have had good results with small leafed weeds. the spreader carrier runs about $800 and would work fine on your truck. I had mine custom made by a local shop. my nurse tank is only 65 gal but if your doing a lot of comm. accounts you may need a larger tank. I like it over the larger machines on the market for a couple reasons. you don't need to pull it on a trailer, its great for smaller residential lawns and good on the larger lawns up to 5 ac. they are very easy to work on and you could probably rebuild the whole unit after a few years of use for under $1500.

3. OSL  Inc.

OSL Inc. LawnSite Member

can anyone else with the new magnum chime in? I would appreciate hearing the negitives and positives, we think it will be a wise decision, but want more feedback.

Thank You!

4. FLeddie

FLeddie LawnSite Member

Got a PG Magnum May '06. Previous rig, 600gal/100drop big truck was
    totaled out in an accident. To get up and running quickly bought the PG and a 3/4 ton pickup. Installed a hitch mount carrier (note: make sure it is sturdy) and a storage box and 50 gallon spray rig.
    The 2 lawn spray techs were skeptical at first - but after a few weeks getting used to the PG - LOVE IT. We will never go back to a big spray rig.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

love mine they have been a great asset to the bottom line and they fit in a van

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

The PG carrier rack costs about $700 new if I recall. I carry it on an F250 with a 100-gallon Lesco skid sprayer, and still have room for about 15 50 lb bags of fertilizer as well as chemical boxes etc.

You can put out so much product in a day with the PG, there isn't enough room to carry it with this setup. Sometimes a trailer is needed instead of the carrier rack.

The idea of abandoning the spray truck altogether is interesting. Even though I have a PG, I'm looking at getting bigger spray setup next year. There are situations where you still need a good spray setup to do liquid apps. You cannot spray everything out of the PG.

7. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are serious about growing your business the Z-spray Max is the way to go for a number of reasons:

It will go most places a PG will go. I do many 4000 ft2 lawns in about 3 minutes.

It is ultra reliable! I have owned mine for 3 seasons and done minimal repairs.

It has a hydro driven spreader.

200 lbs of fert in the hopper with 2 trays for 50lb bags= 300lbs of product before returning to the truck.

40 gallon spray system that is so easy to fix even I can do it. Replace the 12v pump in 2 minutes.

You are going to need a trailer anyway, so put a Z-spray and your product on it. A Lesco 200g space saver in your truck bed leaves you 1/2 of your bed still.

Any repairs needed just call the company and they will next day air parts to you or your repair shop. Excellent support service.

I do this property (45,000 ft2) in about 10-12 minutes

truckandz2edit.JPG

8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

No problems spraying broadleafs at all. I've had weed control failures due to using the wrong chemicals, but nothing to do with spray patterns.

9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the ultra, though it may have it's draw backs and minor problems here and their, it is a great mechine.. and with the new magnum, looks like they addressd them. also, people say you can't get a hold of anybody at PG when you call, i have NEVER had any problem at ALL.

10. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

If price is the issue, you can get the PG right now from Lesco for $5500 versus $7200 for the Z spray. While the Z spray is an excellent machine, it is wider and won't squeeze thru 36" gates like the PG. Yes, you can do small yards with the Z spray but the PG does smaller yards better. Both however do a great job. A lot of the posts that complain about weed control on the PG are actually calibration issues. It's amazing what you can learn when you read the directions.