1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2006 Scag decks. Forget about mulching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scotmockup, Mar 31, 2006.

1. scotmockup

scotmockup LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Anyone having trouble with Scag's new 2006 zero turn high velocity decks?
    Scag has increased the wind velocity under the deck but they also raised the deck and apparently lowered the blades. The front baffle is 5/8" higher than the deck sides and back. The problem is, If you block off the discharge to mulch like I do, all that air has to escape somewhere
    and it escapes out the front. I mulch most of my lawns and If I get close to any leaves they blow away from the mower. I even had a custom baffle installed that comes down even with the sides and back but at a 3" cutting height the whole deck rides quite a bit off the ground. Older scag decks ride much closer to the ground. Scag's new hurricane mulch kit is a 1 to 2 hour install. What a joke. Am I the only one having this problem?

2. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

No more Scag equipment for me, dealer p*ssed me off last year so now all the mowers on my trailer are red- Exmark. Their new Triton has been awesome so far, we just started mowing last week.
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

scot ... Help us out here. Do I understand you are not mounting a mulch kit, but only blocking off the discharge chute? If this is the case, why would you expect to have good mulching function from this deck?
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Are you mulching
  5. scotmockup

scotmockup LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

We had no problem blocking off the discharge and mulching with older scag decks without mulch kits. That way you can go from mulching to blowing out in 5 seconds. The custom mulch cover fits on two bolts and just lifts up. It's not as good as using the mulch kit but a good compromise. The problem now is scag has raised the decks and front baffles so the air blows out the front and doesn't suck in the leaves at all. The new mulch kits take over an hour to install. The 06 deck doesn't even bag well using the side bagger.
  6. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Same hear for me. Bought a new SCAG Tiger 35 HP last year and the machine is a POS. I liked there older style machines way better. I had Scags since 1984 and time for change. I am trying to sell my Scag Turf tiger ask we speak. As soon as lawns kick in, I already have lined up a Hustler and Exmark demo. The mulch kit
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Scag is a street name for Heroin.
  8. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems to me like the Scag brand has sort of gone to the wayside. I mean, it seems (from various posts) that Scag was really more popular before they changed their deck designs. I don't really see many Scag's around here, my dealer (who is a Scag dealer) told me that after Scag came out with the "advantage deck" they really lost their following. Now it seems like the newer deck is even worse! In my own view, Bob-Cat, Toro Proline, Exmark, Lesco and others are taking over the commerial mower market. Scag seems to be; really expensive, gives a crummy cut and stripe, dealers don't like the Scag mowers anymore, Scag is living on the name, not the product itself. JMO -Matt
  9. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the advantage deck on my tiger cub and love it. I have not had one problem with it. It leaves a great stripe without even using a striping kit.

I havnt tried one with a velocity deck yet but i have heard a lot of mixed reports, that has me kind of worried. I dont think the quality of scag has gone down at all i just dont think they have changed much and people like to see new things. It would be nice if they made a walk behind that didnt have pistol grips. Scag and Exmark still appear to be the kings around here.
  10. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I was at the dealer today (buying a leaf plow)and they had a scag w/b hydro 36" for 2,100.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: i guess no one likes them:confused: