1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2006 scag tiger cub 48" ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowdiddy, Apr 23, 2006.

1. mowdiddy

mowdiddy LawnSite Member

:confused: Need a smaller zero turn mower, my 60" exmark with bagger system is to big for some of my lawns. Im getting ready to buy a tiger cub ztr 48" 24hp briggs engine. anybody have any input on this mower with the briggs? I have exmarks now with kohlers and kawasakis but I like the price and hp of this mower($6,000).

2. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

You should go with another Exmark. Where in CT do you by your mowers?
  3. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

If I were going to look at anything that was smaller than a 60in ZTR I would get a scag tiger cub for sure.
  4. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

hi i have a cub with the 19 kawasaki on it and i would buy one anytime really fast.. these things hold a hill so good for a small mower.. i had a exmark zhp 48 inch and could not even think about a slope but the tiger cub holds a hill so good and cut is great to. you cannot go wrong with one and in my opinon the scags are the best made.. :dancing:
  5. mowdiddy

mowdiddy LawnSite Member

Whats u guys take on the 24 briggs engine??? thats mostly what im worried about. Do you think theyre pretty comparable to the kohler??? I bought my exmarks from Garganos and bought a walk behind from Lesco(Ledyard).
  6. GOJOs LCO

GOJOs LCO LawnSite Member

The Tiger Cubs are one heck of a machine for sure. I do not know anything about the 24 Briggs other than our regional rep said it was just a briggs motor to get the price back down. Scag also went to the smaller kaw. motors this year, too. Im not too sure if i like them. I have an 04 48" Cub w. the 19 Kawasaki motor and if I could buy anymore at what i paid for it i would jump on it. (orig. price 5499.)
  7. davemarsh52

davemarsh52 LawnSite Member

what is the fuel consumption on your cub? per hr. or per acre
  8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I would rather have the 19 Kawi than the 24 Briggs. JMO.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I talked to my dealer today and say said the 19 kaw has more torque than the briggs.
  10. james mcdonald

james mcdonald LawnSite Member

Based on some posts here and my discussions with a local engine repair shop, there may be a problem with the 24 hp briggs. It appears the problem is associated with the air cleaner cover not sealing properly when the engine gets up to operating temperature and allows dust to leak in. The only thing I heard from the local dealers here is that the 24 hp engine can be hard to start when cold which should not be a problem during the summer, but may be during fall leaf shreading. In any case for Scag 2007, the 24 hp briggs has been replaced with a 26 hp briggs with a canister type air filter. The 24 hp briggs 2006 briggs 48 inch Scag can be purchased here for $5600 which is over $1,000 cheaper than the 2007 19 hp Kawasaki Scaggs. The local dealer here does not carry the 2007 26 h