2006 Scag Tiger Cub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnscag, Sep 25, 2006.

1. johnscag

johnscag LawnSite Member
    from Balt md

I have a 2006 Tiger cub, velocity deck, and I had a question about scalping, I currently have my baffles set in the middle and am curious if anyone else has tried the lower setting of the deck wheels? Thank you for any insite!!!
    :usflag:

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2004 Tiger Cub and I just left the baffle in the hole it came in. The baffles dont have anything to do with scalping. You just adjust those according to the type of grass you are cutting and if you are bagging. If you are having problems with scalping check the tire pressure. I run 12 psi in both of my rear tires and it makes a big difference if the pressure is not the same it will scalp.

3. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

John, the velocity deck is longer (front to back) than the old advantage making it easier to scalp.

Lowering the guage wheels on the deck should help a little with scalping but the foot pedal will still need to come into play alot. Keep in mind that the lowered guage wheels will tear a little turf when turning around at the end of a stripe unless you use the foot pedal while you do it.

4. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

raise the deck up higher! You shouldn't get much scalps if your cutting over 3 inches, unless the lawn is badly uneven.

5. johnscag

johnscag LawnSite Member
    from Balt md

Thank you both for the input, and yes, the main customer I am having the issue with is very un even. I Seem to notice it most when turning on slopes etc and I cut 3 1/4 - 3 1/2 . I have measured and if i lower the two wheels they still have a good clearance even set at 3 1/4. Never thought about using the foot pedal to just raise the deck a bit when turning on slopes.
    I think i will switch the wheels down tonight, and let you know how it works.
    Thank yoU !

6. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a few uneven lawns. I ride my deck pedal the whole time I am cutting them, gives my right leg a good workout!

7. SamTheLawnMan

SamTheLawnMan LawnSite Member

Yes, put the anti-scalp wheels on the front of the deck in the bottom holes....HELPS ALOT!!!!!