2006 Scag Wildcat

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Daves Propert Maintenance, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Daves Propert Maintenance

Daves Propert Maintenance LawnSite Member
    from USA

I am considering the purchase of a scag wildcat for the spring. I am looking at the 61" deck with bagger, striper, and headlights. I would like to adequate horsepower too, but I'm not interested in breaking the bank.

How much do these mowers cost with the accessories? How reliable is the mower? Is it easy to perform routine maintenance? How is the cut quality? How is the ride quality?

Any input is appreciated.

2. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

I have a scag tiger cub with the briggs 24hp. I know the first thing you are going to say, but this thing has been flawless so far. Out side of the motor, my dealer pointed out that the wildcat and the tiger cub are the same mower. the same frame and deck (52"). The wildcat has differnt motor combo's and the motors have the oil cooler, but other than that, it is the same machine for a good bit less money. I bought my tiger cub for $6k and it does everything I need it to do. I wouldn't mind having a larger deck, but the larger deck isn't worth an extra $3k to me. but that is only my opinion.

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

we picked up a 52" wildcat. l16 months ago for 6500 with the 25 HP kawi.... it has a nicer seat than the base model and the front caster wheel were larger....in comparison to the tiger cub with the 61" deck and 25hp kawi we had purchased 3 years prior.

Both are great machines. I feel the 52 is a better deck with that HP, plus you can do some uneven terrain with out scalping...

We had a couple of the stamped pulleys break, but they and a new belt were covered under warranty...

4. Daves Propert Maintenance

from USA

Is 24-25 HP enough for the 52 inch deck, or should I opt for a liquid cooled 26 HP Kawasaki?

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

the 25 is plenty...I ran a kohler 23 i think on my 52" lazer from the mid 90's in florid and it ran fine......

the 25 onthe 61" does struggle in wet thick grass, but when its dry no problems...

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I run a kohler 20hp on a 48'' tiger cub and its aplenty, I would think 25hp would be plenty on a 52''

wayne

7. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Plenty the 25 or 26 lc are power houses on a 52 inch cut.

8. Daves Propert Maintenance

from USA

My local dealer is asking $9400 for a wildcat with a 61" deck and a 26 HP Kawasaki. Is this a reasonable price? Or should I consider a tiger cub with the 25 Honda and a 52" deck? Anyone know how much those will cost new??

9. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

Bought a 2006 model with a 26 kaw on a 52 inch cut for $7200 out the door with a $300 striping kit for $7500.

10. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

So take it for what it's worth a 9 inch cut deck is $2200 bucks seems way over priced.