2006' The year of the Devil"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KINGjosh, Aug 5, 2006.

1. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

It all started with a week of none stop rain, put me out of commision for a week.
    Then right after that, the following Monday my mower takes a crap, the hydro pump goes out. That took a week for the dealer to fix. Then 2 days after I get it back, the engine to deck belt busts. i go to the dealer and get a new one, but he gives me the wrong one, it was a tade to big, so it blows out aswell. I'm waiting on that belt to get shipped to the dealer from Ohio.

Now today as I'm trying to catch up from all this work with my small back up mower (32" cut belt), My trucks upper radiator hose blows. I fixed that 2 hours later. I said, "*****" I'm taking the rest of the Saturday off. Lord knows what else is gonna happen.

Now all during that streak of bad luck I was mowing with my back up mower, And every day walking behind that thing, working till 7pm I only managed to lose 4 accounts out of 79. and I'm solo, to top it all off! Now I'm just sitting back and enjoying a 12-pack:drinkup:

Never want another year like this:dizzy:

edited - watch the language. jodi

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Be glad your living.

3. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

and getting the rain.. Not everyone in Fla is getting rain. Grant it , it has rained here but not nearly enough.

4. KINGjosh

Ahmen, I heard that!

5. KINGjosh

You guys dont have irrigation up there? I think every house in So. Florida has them, unless your in a shiiity nieghborhood where there all broke and the poeple dont give 2 *****. And those are the hoods you'll never see my truck in, unless its for a landscaping job.

6. prosperity

prosperity LawnSite Member

Wow - as they say - all at once or not at all!

But, about you being down for a week waiting for a part - I guess I am very lucky in that my dealer will give me a loaner machine in a situation like that. Might not be as good as mine, but at least I can keep going.

Hopefully your "streak" is over and you can get back to business.

7. KINGjosh

No loaners, I have a Lesco. The dealer sucks ***. The next mower I buy will be soley decided on dealer support!

8. prosperity

prosperity LawnSite Member

I do get some bashing from some people because I use nothing but Deere equipment - even down to push mowers and blowers.

I might pay a little more at times, but my dealer has always taken care of me. Will not buy anything from anyone else if he can sell it to me. We have a very good relationship - and I just love haggling with him when it's time to buy a new piece.

Even this past spring, when I was having some problems with my trailer, he loaned me his own personal trailer to keep me going!

9. KINGjosh

Thats awsome, There are dealers like that around me, but I chose price over anything else on my last buy.

I now realize what a "Dealer" is now. Its not just someone who sells you a product. Its somone who knows you, and takes care of you in time of need.

I would never buy online either!

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah man, I learned my lesson that way, too...
    Now I do it this way:

ALWAYS have at least one spare belt of every kind that could break.
    On that note, keep tabs of what seems to break / need replacing the most often AND what the dealer keeps in stock or not: No matter what you do, sooner or later the dealer is out and you are sol if it is a vital part to the function of the machine, so have your own supply and then life is much easier. Like starter rope, spark plugs, air and oil filters and oil too... but it takes time to build it so the sooner you start the better (well it aint free)

I even got deck knobs, brass bushings, spindle bearings, tires (yup, 4 rear and 4 more for the car), inner tubes and patch kit, a spare brand-new velke with hitch, another spare hitch alone, rubber grommets, over 100 quarts of oil and a slew of nuts and bolts and washers and clips and pins and odds and ends and crap lol that I built up, every time I get enough money together, I buy some more of either something I just ran out, or something else I done found I need.

This saves trips to the dealer in addition to frustration, helps with end of year tax deductions and last but not least, will help keep your company operational should we get a drought that lasts 2-3 years... Not trying to scare nobody, but wouldn't it be nice to be able to stay fully operational even if you got almost no income, just on parts you already have? Yup, sure is, yes sir. And it's better than money in the bank because I can't waste spare parts (well yeah I can but you know what I mean).

Oh, a second machine set to the exact same cut height doesn't hurt, either.