1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

2007 Fuel Costs?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Eden Lights, Jan 7, 2008.

1. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Diesel is not cheap but you can get some really good MPG out of them for being big trucks. My f250 7.3PSD gets around 16mpg with a full load int he bed, i can get 17 on the free way all day unloaded and about 14.5-16 in the city.
  2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

If your fuel costs are in fact "robbing the bottom line" then you are not accounting or charging appropriately for your 'soft costs' of operation. I have posted on this in the past and any good accountant will be able to tell you about it.

You must ensure you know what your costs of doing business are and then build them into your product and service prices. It goes way beyond fuel, and includes all of your 'soft costs' like insurance, telephone, rent, leases, and on and on. Take the total of these expenses over the course of a year and then divide them by the number of days you are in operation. That gives you a the 'cost' of you opening your door for business. Now when you are working out a quote or figuring out your service price, calculate in the daily cost of operation and include it. No more surprises at the end of the year.

Have a great day.
  3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

definately, my clients pay for my fuel!