2007 Hustler Xr-7 Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, Apr 30, 2007.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Is there anyone with information on how the 2007 XR-7 decks are handling the plush northern grasses. I keep forgetting it is 86 degrees here now, there may not have been enough grass cut up north to decide if there is any change. Keep us posted!

2. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I've only had my '07 60" XR-7 for a month or so ... but in comparing it to the Scag and the Cub Tank that mow a lot in the same area I did today .. my cut is much nicer then theirs was. Could have been blades, or whatever .. but bottom line is the quality of cut the customer gets.

There have been many who seem to like to dis the Hustler .. but from my experience with mine, and those of others I know who have older models ('05 & '06) ... we seem to have much better luck then that of those who like to complain about theirs all the time.

I'll pick mine over my buddies xMark any day :weightlifter:

3. puppypaws

What type of grasses do you cut in that area, I know from farming experience that you have some of the best crop growing soil in the world. I would assume what you cut is very healthy, thick and weed free for the most part. We would like to see pictures of a few areas you have cut down across ground level to compare with what was seen last year with the first XR-7's, if that would be possible. Thank you for sharing this information with us, I have no way to compare because my southern grasses are easier to cut.

I would like for as many people as possible with 2007 XR-7 decks cutting northern grasses to share their opinions. This would be very helpful to a lot of people to get comparisons of different mower decks in northern grasses especially when one person has operated and compared different mower companies. Thanks

4. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

It's better than last year, I'll try to get some pics. Abundant moisture and high temps have things growing well..

5. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

We also have a New Super Z IN our line-up this year ,after much research we went with hustler. The new deck cuts like a dream,most of our properties are flat and i can cut full sticks with lawns that are weekly maintained with no problems. No front blow out at all. The grass goes flying like 8 ft away.Iam not sure what they changed thou? I am sold on huslter

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well everyone knows I've lined them up (Exmark and Hustler) side by side on the same lawns for a two month period of time. The Exmark was always smoother and the discharge was at least three deck withs 15-16 ft. Of course this isn't real handy around flower beds. I tried the XR7 strait, with triangles, and with the lift kit and it never surpassed the Lazer cut in side by side test. With the lift kit on the cut improved dramatically in thin and limp grasses and weeds but the build up was horrible. But it was more comfortable, heavier built, and faster. I'm well aware that the XR7 does great on some types of turf in some area's, but not in my area. Yes this is lousy turf but the Lazer never has a problem with it. Mowed it for years and it always turns out smooth with the Lazer.

Mowing II 005.jpg

7. tacoma200

Sorry wrong photo, I'll try to find one with the same lot.

Mowing II 002.jpg

8. tacoma200

This is what the lot looks like with the Lazer (always). 3.25" Photo's not taken same day but the results with the Exmark are always predictable.

exmark 1.jpg

9. puppypaws

Thank you Tacoma, I was hoping you would post those pictures so people with the 2007 XR-7's will be able to compare. The pictures you took are great and it makes it very easy to see a difference.

I am trying to figure out if there is a better cut with the 07 model than in your situation with the 06, it will take a lot of input information I hope we are able to compile over a period of time.

10. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

If i can remember :laugh: i'll take some pic's with the XR 7 Deck this coming week on different types of turf. There also has been no clumping or buid-up at the discharge chute at all.