2007 repair/customer story thread

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Apr 28, 2007.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Let's keep this thread for good, bad, funny, interesting stories from the jobsite. Not debating parts, prices, install practices, etc.

I had a customer last fall call for blowing out the system. So we put her on the schedule. A week or so later she called back saying not to worry about it, a friend took care of it for them.

Well I showed up yesterday and after replacing the cracked PVB, PVC leading to the manifold, and a cracked valve and filter for the drip, that "friend" needs to be taking this couple out for a dinner and drinks a few times. It'll probably run at least $350-$400 in repairs that this friend caused.

2. Sniff Sniff Sniff......Sniff

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Usually poly pipe will only crack a few inches in length, unlike PVC that can shatter for a long run (the longest I saw was 60'). My technician repaired a 15' length of poly pipe that was cracked the whole length. He said the pipe felt really hard and brittle, and even cracked a couple times when inserting the coupler. It will probably crack again at some point.

anyone else see this before? Not sure where the pipe came from or who installed or how old.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Don't cry Tony, you're not forking out the cash. and I know you have plenty of stories, so chime in.

5. OK
    I have a hold of myself now...

I have seen it with 1/2 inch poly in Arizona...never seen it here as of yet....the Poly in Arizona was presumed to have been stored outside in the SUN too long, the UV rays causing some sort of molecular breakdown...or so the guys at the counter were trained to say ;)

6. Would you like to go fish 11 mile canyon next Wednesday after you help me pull 600 feet of poly and install drip to 51 trees out there very close to the fishing?

Thanks...I'll pencil you in..you still work free?

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Wish I could. Schedule is full for a couple weeks now.

8. So is mine....but spring fishing in the Canyon cannot be beat......;)

Probably snow..my luck....

I am headed out soon to work another 12 hour day..you?

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yes, leaving soon.

today I get to rebuild an above ground manifold that completely broke off and got busted up by snow falling off a roof and crushing it. At least that is what he is telling me. As much as I hate the look of above ground manifolds, they are easy to work on.

And I think I have 4 Febco bonnets to replace today. Easy $$$$$$!!!!!

10. lol

Mine are all just regular startups for regular customers and 2 bids...

7 for 7 btw...added 10 extra percent to the one 2 days ago....he called last nite and practically begged me to start......

Answer the phone.....show up on time.......make money.....too bad about winter.