2007 Silverado 2500 HD w/ Dovetail?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by robertsturf, Jun 22, 2008.

1. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

With the high cost of gas now I am researching the possibility of installing a landscape bed on my 3/4 ton 2007 Silverado. I know it will fit and what the load capabilities are on my truck. What I am looking for is what the difference would be in gas mileage for my truck. We currently tow a 16' tandem axle trailer with 3 Standers and other mowing equipment. I average 9.5 mpg. Will I see much improvement in my MPG? Has anyone done this on a similar truck. It is a 6.0 gas with auto extended cab and long bed. Any input would be appreciated. I would be selling my trailer and the bed off the truck to help offset the cost of the installation. Also I was going to make it a dump-bed and have the dove-tail ramp removeable. Thanks for your input. Trent Roberts, Roberts Turf & Landscape.

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

How is 16' of equipment gonna fit on 8' of truck bed?

3. robertsturf

Good point! Make it 88" wider or stagger it. We don't use the full 16' of space on the trailer. Plus you can put equipment on the dovetail portion. I see it all the time. All equipment will be secured by d-rings and ratchet straps.

4. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't hack up and remove all value from an 07 truck! If you think this idea is feasible I'd buy an older F350 or F450 and put a bed on that. You'd have the security of dual rear wheels (which you'll need with all that additional weight, think tire blowouts) and you can get away with a 10 or 12 bed which will be more useful.

5. robertsturf

I'ts not a for sure thing that I am going to do. I was just weighing the pros and cons and was wondering if someone else has done it. Storeage of another vehicle is a problem since we still work out of our home and have an inside storage garage and 1 outside parking spot for our dump trailer. We are able to keep all our mowing equipment in the one garage without unloading it from the trailer. If I bought another truck I would have to take that into consideration. Also our storage garage that we are in now would not allow us to back a truck in it with the mowers on the back, the door is too low.

6. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets blow a couple grand to save $10 per fill up... makes sense:hammerhead:. As fool said, don't kill an 07 truck. Buy a bigger, stronger truck for less (90's F450 w/ 7.3 diesel).

7. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

My thought exactly.. Or here's one. Spend an extra 30 grand on a car that will save you gas rather then using a truck. Do you know how much gas you can buy with 30,000??? Some people amaze me.

8. robertsturf

I appreciate all your sarcasm. It's very helpful smarta**. The reason I posted this is I was weighing the pro's&con's for doing this. NOT a done deal. I have seen this done around here and on the net. So don't blow a head gasket at my idea. I see your mowing with a walk-behind how's that working for ya?

9. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

pro's?? I don't think there's even 1! Less space, costs a bunch, kills truck's value, looks worse, etc...

10. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

If your referring to me about the walkbehind, your making yourself look like a ******. Just remember that not every place in the U.S. can use a ztr and cut 5 acre house's. We have 50x100 lots here (some smaller, some a little bigger) and a z would not fit. Think again next time you think of something stupid. Notice how i have a 36'' and a 21''?? there's a reason for it. If i needed a ztr, i have the money, and could get one. Oh, and learn how to take come criticism. Now for your pro's and cons. I cant think of any pro's. I dont think you would really save any gas, or enough to change over. You'll wear out the shocks and springs on the truck, You'll loose value in the truck. You won't be able to to put anything in the bed of the truck without taking out all of your equipment, you will only be able to use the truck for work, where as now you could just unhook the trailer and go. With your idea, you will lug all the equipment everywhere you go unless you unload. That's all i can think of. Please excuse my sarcasm.