2007 Silverado Classic Hybrid

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mower&more1986, Sep 20, 2007.

1. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

has anyone seen these on the road? or owned one?
    whats like? does it tow good? just curious how good are they?

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I didn't know they were out yet? I don't really know much about them either and have little interest as the technology usually out-weighs the savings.

Is it true hybrid or does it use the same technology in the Tahoe and Corvette that kills fuel to 4 of the 8 cylinders?

3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i saw how they work, and it isn't the killing 4/8 cylinders, it uses somesort of flywheel technology to generate electricity to power the power steering, brakes, A/C and everything else, the driveling is powered solely by the the gas engine.

4. mower&more1986

5. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen these before on the chevy website and I always wondered if they had enough power to pull and such.

6. mower&more1986

I think the engine is on all the time in tow/haul mode because they would have to pretty decent electric motor to get 8000lbs moving just my opinion

7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

They don't have an electic motor (other than the starter). They are not a "true" hybrid, like was said before they use regenerative braking and extra storage batteries to run power steering, brakes, A/C and other accessories. The engine also shuts down and restarts automatically in stop and go driving. These features help to save fuel, but EPA estimates are only about 1 mpg better than the standard truck. IIRC the powertrain is a 5.3 V8, so towing power should be fine.

Actually, on edit they do have a relatively small electic motor that works in conjunction with the V8 to assist it in slow speeds.

8. mower&more1986

9. mower&more1986

hmm ok then so that small electic motor will get the truck moving enough too restart the truck right?

10. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

NO. It assists the 5.3L V8. It doesnt strictly use the electric motor...