2008 bobcat 463 overheating

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by woodlanda, Jan 22, 2013.

1. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Well ....perhaps those that didn't learn that stuff in basic automotive repair manuals...

My hat is off to RestroRob...Dutch1...BigFish..Ed2Hess..Ricky86...and all the other Factory Trained Technicians like myself...that take time out of their busy schedules...to help people they don't even know...
    It ain't bragging...if you can do it....

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes I do admire and respect they work. We all can learn from them:waving:

3. piston slapper

Perhaps....I can see you are jazzed about this forum...a regular rah rah cheerleader...
    As. I was never priveliged to receive a pm from you...and there is really no background info on your member page..
    I guess I will ask you in open forum....
    What is your mechanical background.?..and what special qualities do you bring to this forum.?
    Enquiring minds want to know...

4. Landrus2

I have no problem telling you we do our maintenance since 1979 on our equipment. OK small engines Kawasaki ,kohler,Briggs,Wisconsin ,Honda ,
    We have some Kawasaki's with 3200 hours is that good service or what.
    We leave the big engines for tomorrow :waving::waving:

5. piston slapper

Not to split hairs here...but I was not referring to "WE"....I was asking about "YOU"
    I'm sure we would ALL like to know more about the guy that has an opinion on everything..
    It can be very distracting when trying to have an intelligent conversation to have people jump in the middle without adding anything to the solution...
    Offering good technical advice with limited information is already pretty tough..

6. Landrus2

I was me and my brothers members here to.:waving:

7. piston slapper

I should have known I couldn't get a straight answer ...
    This must be the only place where a student can constantly disrupt the class...
    And nothing is done about it...

8. woodlanda

woodlanda LawnSite Member
    from Canada

I guess it isn't fixed as the Bobcat 463 was acting up again and kept telling me it was overheating. There was still bubbles popping up in the overflow coolant container when the engine ran. I got one of those glass test tube kits that you place in the radiator cap and if there is color change in the test tube it indicates that you you have a crack in the block head or gasket. The test confirmed a problem. It took about 4.5 hours to get the engine apart and the block head removed. It turned out there was a small crack in the block head leading from one of the pistons to the coolant chamber. I got a new block head on order from Bobcat and hopefully it will fix the problem.