1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

2008 duramax mileage.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lawn king, Aug 10, 2008.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

12000 miles on my allison/duramax one ton. Getting 13 mpg working around town with an average payload of 1200 lbs, 17 mpg highway. The 6 speed shifts as smooth as silk, the engine is very quiet, interior very comfortable. Think twice about GM before you go ford or dodge!

2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I agree. I have 12,500 on mine. My city is around 11, but thats because theres a stop sign at every block, and i rarely go over 30 mph. My highway is around 21. I towed 3.5 pallets of 80 pound bags of concrete mix, and this thing really hauled a$$.

3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I agree. Second thoughts for a while with fuel cost but in the long run -towing, etc this trucks rolls. I have an 08 d-max - 4 door GMC. Leather etc. To nice for work but well work it. I also opted to get the tool box on the rail system thru GM - really not impressed yet on that.

Definetily think twice if considering a ford or dodge. To me there is no comparison!

4. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Have '04 and '05 dmaxs' - both 3500 NON Dually and both get about 15 while towing and 20-21 on hwy and not towing. We Love them - THEY HAUL.

5. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

I have been averiging just over 16 around town/mixed and just returned from a trip to NY thru PA & VA mountains and averaged just over 18, with a best of 19.7 (always fill to top of fill neck so it is accurate) only 6700 miles.

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I wish my D-max got that gooda highway mileage. im bout 16-17 highway at 70. and its runnin 1700 rpm's. I definately got a "friday at 5" truck! Its in the shop as we speak. Hoping lucky number 7 will do it.

7. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

Thought about GM, went and looked at them; naahhhh!

I'm happy with my Ford. Still bought American though. :usflag:

Don't much care for that Japanese-Isuzu Diesel engine parked under the hood of GM trucks. However, I do like that Allison transmission.

8. OhioMowerGuy

OhioMowerGuy LawnSite Senior Member

That japanese isuzu diesel engine is made in moraine ohio.

9. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

But it's still Japanese. You just said so yourself.
    Of course, I think it is great that the Japanese have created such a great engine, but if I am going to purchase an American made truck, then it had better be American through and through; not one with parts manufactured in Mexico with diesel engines designed by the Japanese. If I wanted a Japanese engine, then I would just go back to a Toyota.

10. pjtrailerguy

pjtrailerguy LawnSite Member

I personally saw where Ford manufactures (most of) their wiring harnesses for their trucks...along a mud packed street in a VERY dillapidated town in Mexico, donkeys wondering around, women carrying the laundry to the creek on their heads, cows and pigs struttin their stuff and all of a sudden out of nowhere a blue oval on the wall. The local guys that were entertaining us told us the wiring harness for FMC are manufactured RIGHT THERE! I know its alot of work to rewire your ford truck though so just keep running it till it lets you sit.