2008 expectations

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Jan 23, 2008.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Are any of you making any big changes for 2008? I'm finally looking to expand a little more. Plans are to keep current longtime tech, try to get tech from last year (many years experience), hire a less experienced guy to do easy start ups, repairs, act as a floater for who needs him, etc., and an office person. I will still do some service work, and look more at the revamp jobs rather than turn them away. If I have the less experienced guy we can more easily pursue these jobs rather than refer it out or dread doing it. I will also hopefully be able to do some office work during business hours, and actively pursue more work. I think having this shop away from the house will be great. I want my longtime tech to take more responsibilities besides just service work. Look at and bid some revamp jobs, manage the two others a little, maybe enter his own invoices and paperwork into QuickBooks.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Great strategies, Dana. All I would add would be wean yourself out of the actual field
    work & concentrate more on the big picture..be available to show up instantly for new
    clients...worked for me. Hank is following the same path, easier on the body, too!

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, trying to get out the field more. I want to run the business more, and grow it. I do want to be able schedule appointments sooner than 2-3 weeks during the busy times. But no way can we get there instantly. And I hate to say it, but I do not want to get there instantly. Then they come to expect it, and then the next time they call they get upset if it is not immediately. During the slower months of late July thru Sept, we can get there fairly quick. And I also won't leap frog over good existing customers to fit in new customers.

I took a lot of time off from the field in 2007. I went and saw family, family came out here, local trips around the state, camping, winter, etc. And I loved it. I am not one to chase the last available dollar. I love taking time off, especially extended periods thru the winter.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I am considering some changes, but much depends on how much longer it takes to get my house finished.

5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Contemplating a location change here. Details forthwith.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Airstream interlopers bringing down real estate values?

7. Mike Leary

Every new permanent client increases the worth of the business, the hardest
    part of this biz is learning to "juggle" priorities. I've said, half joking," if
    someone's not pissed off at me, I'm not running the show right!"

8. Mike Leary

What, worried about the competition from the contractor who parks his
    motor home in the client's driveway while the job is done?
    :::ignores snide comment about property values::::::hammerhead:

9. less installs more service...

10. eagle irrigation

eagle irrigation LawnSite Member

Im thinking of switching from bottles to cans. The empties are no fun to throw at signs, but they won't get stuck under the brake pedal.