2008 Expectations

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by eskerlite, Jan 31, 2008.

1. eskerlite

eskerlite LawnSite Member

What are some goals or things we would like to see happen in our industry this year, Nationwide.
    My short list.
    1.All states agreeing on the same low voltage lighting licensing or no licensing.
    2. A non biased non manufacturer based education institution teaching many aspects of Outdoor Lighting without the College attached. A place for the Lamen.
    3.Patent enforcement for our Manufacturers to stop getting ripped off in china and sold here.
    4.Being able to sell more Value in my lighting portraits for more profit.
    What does Your list look like?
    Sean Curran

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Damn Sean, you don't want much in a year do you??:laugh:

I would like to see the AOLP take off this year and I think we are fueled up and ready for take off!!
    I would like to see more participation in quality education by the major manufactures instead of promoting the 1 day seminars.

3. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

4. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

1: Adoption by the Ontario ESA of our technical standards of installation, thereby setting an industry standard.
    2: Development of a technical training program that will effectively teach to the installation standards.
    3: Acknowledgement and Adoption of the technical training program by the ESA and the Ministry of Colleges and Universities.
    4: The establishment of a LV outdoor lighting contractor's license here in Ontario.
    5: The development and acceptance of a LV outdoor lighting electrical code for inclusion into the CEC.

In that order!

(Not asking for too much am I?)

Regards.

5. NightScenes

James, what about the next 11 months?:laugh:

6. eskerlite

eskerlite LawnSite Member

Are we the only contractors with expectations? Lets keep this thread going.
    Sean C.

7. seolatlanta

seolatlanta LawnSite Member

Well now that I am on the other side of the counter from you guys , now working for a distributor I have noticed a few things from a different perspective. The main thing that I see is -

1. Going up on your prices even in small increments - from what I see a lot of part timers and hacks are low balling you pros out there. Seperate yourselves from the guys with no volt meter!

2. working on some sort of regulation for installation to avoid said hacks above

3. Guys hiring a PRO or close to it for your photos. 90% of the guys I see do not have one photo or they share the same ones from Kichler and Cast.

4. Be loyal to your distributor. Find one that has an expert in lighting and use him as a resource. I went out with a guy the other night and did a walkthrough with the contractor and bumped the install from 4k to 8k. If you dont have someone at your supply house who cant help you when you need it then find someone who does.

5. More of you join the AOLP - it is only going to get better and we need you to get better. Its only $175 and you get $1000s of dollars worth of coupons so you get it right back.

When I was a contractor I used mainly Unique and Kichler and I bought from Shemin Nurseries as well as Clarolux a lot. I paid a little more there , but I liked my contact there. He would deliver my product , open the store on the weekend for me, I knew his family and we were friends. It was worth it to me.

Disclaimer- If this doesnt apply to you than dont flame me!! Sean asked for our thoughts and these are mine. If your system is working then Great! If we can make it now there will be another boom like a few years ago when people were spending money like water.

8. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

All very good points!!

9. NightScenes

So, what happened to this thread? Expectations for this year??? Anyone??

10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

1 Get closer to God
    2 learn to have more faith and become more patient
    3 Grow our company and work on regional networking
    4 Learn to take life 1 day at a time
    5 Triple lighting revenues while cutting back maint

I am not setting a dollar amount for my expectations this year. You only set yourself up for disapointment or stress. If I make my clients happy and felt good about it and provided well for Ashley and I then I met any expectation I could ever have.