2008 F-450 Dump Truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Royal Landscapes, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Royal Landscapes

Royal Landscapes LawnSite Member

What do you think of this 2008 F-450?

I'm currently 17 and starting a company more oriented towards landscape maintenance and construction along with hardscape construction. Do you think this would be a good truck to buy for hauling fill, mulch, stone, trees, and to fulfill other landscape needs?

It has a late model 6.4L diesel with 136,000 miles with a 6 speed manual transmission.

Thanks for your Input.

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Get a 550 minimum

3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

What kind of body does it have ? Stake, landscapers, dump, etc ?

A pic or 2 would be great............

ericg likes this.
  4. Royal Landscapes

5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Nice looking dump. Do you know how to drive a stick ? Replacing a clutch would be expensive.

The tail gate has been bowed....Open and close the tail gate a few times, make sure it closes easily, both pins go in with out a fight....Latchs work with out a fight.

This will give you a feel for what it's going to be like at every stop you need to load and unload.

With the bed up, look at the connections to the ram and pivot
    that the dump rides on when it goes up, make sure it has been greased and not leaking any fluid from the hoses. No grease means the pump is working harder then it has too.

What do you think you will be hauling most, stone or mulch ?
    Do you really need a dump body or would a dumping landscaping body be better to carry mulch or plants.....

Diesel vs. gas ? Diesel is about 40 cents a gallon more here in South Jersey, mileage is about the same when you are hauling...

ericg likes this.
  6. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I would stay away from a 6.4. You might look for a gas truck. It would be a ton cheap to fix. You would not want to spend 10,000$ fixing it if it blows up

7. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

136,000 miles seems like alot for a 6 year old dump truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't spend that much on a truck if your getting started. Wait a year or two until your more established. Buy something from the 90s for under 10k and get your company going. Plus insurance would be a lot less
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Royal Landscapes

Thanks for all the advice.

First of all, yes I know how to drive a stick shift.

I would probably be hauling mulch the most and with the bed full it would be around max gvwr. From what I can see the bed looks like it would hold 6-8 yards. I have a friend with a landscape dump bed and it seems like it would work well I just can't find any in my price range.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  10. Royal Landscapes

This is one of the newer model 6.4s a friend has two trucks with the same age 6.4 with no problems and there have been no problems on this engine just regular maintenence.
    Posted via Mobile Device