2008 Fertilizer Prices - Major Increases

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by master gardener, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

But don't try to use current 'box store' fertilizer pricing as any type of barometer to guage where the prices are heading.
    Only futures markets can predict that...and even they can't forecast accurately everything key that goes on everywhere, all the time, both at home and internationally.

And Home Depot, Lowes, etc markets primarily to homeowners, people with a completely different mind-set when they shop, as compared to the more savvy and knowledgeable (hopefully, at least :laugh:) buyer who would purchase for a lawn fertilization company.

2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Nice.... my dealer at the Lesco/JD store quoted me $24.96. Five bucks cheaper for me to buy Lesco at Home Depot? Well.... that certainly is interesting. I guess I must look pretty stupid. I'm not a big account by any means, but I anticipate spending $10 to $12k this year in supplies and hardware. Lesco won't get a dime. Even if he got reasonable at this point... I don't trust the guy. I sure hope for the company's sake that other stores are run very differently.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's going to get worse, too. Not only that, they were saying on the news the other night, that we could very well be looking at $6 per gallon of gas in the next year. Our economy is going to hell in a handbasket. there will be ALOT of people cutting back on everything and doing without all the frills of lawncare.

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Whitey,

Don't feel like you are getting taken that bad! Although is sounds like Lesco is screwing you with those prices...I wouldn't compare it to "store grade" fert.

The "store fert" is usually not the same quality and also you need to pay attention to the sq ft/bag.

A lot of times when looking at fert...they are 40# bags and not 50's.

5. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

Not only that, the amount of slow release plays a major role in pricing as well. If a bag has more slow releasing properties, its pricing will be higher.

6. moores

moores LawnSite Member
    from RI

Hissing Cobra is correct look at the bag of Lesco Fert from Home Depot and from a lesco Supply House They are totally different atleast around here. And Lesco Home Depot bags are only 40lbs not 50lbs

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

This is a great point...as not always but a lot of times I think when people price shop they think they are comparing apples to apples, but they really are not.

There is A LOT more to a bad of fert then just the analysis!

8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

9. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure but I think Terra Ind. (TRA) is the major manufacture in the US, I do know they bought up a few companies a couple years ago and the stock price has gone from about $6 ps to $45ish, in two years.

Bet that has something to do with retail prices.

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

That is funny!

The cost/K on N is over 2X Lesco's price.

It is a 50# bag, but only covers 8K.

Lesco's 32% covers 16K and is alot cheaper then that!

Boy these stores know how to fool the homeowner dont' they? It would cost them $87/acre for fert only and no herb.