2008 Residential Advertising. Start Jan or Feb?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by IMAGE, Dec 17, 2007.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

I am planning on doing 2-3000 postcards or doorhangers in select neighborhoods advertising for 2008. I am thinking that people maybe money strapped from the holidays still in Jan even in the mid-upper neighborhoods I am gonna advertise in, and so may not be receptive to spending more (even though the first bill would be a few months away)

So would Jan be to early to start advertising to them?

Should I wait til Feb/March and maybe double advertise to them? Like send them a postcard, then the next week put up door hangers?

One thing with double advertising is they may see the name the second time, and recognize it, automatically thinking "established" even though its my first yr.

So that brings me to my next question:
    Would I be better off sending postcards or doorhangers to 6000 different people, or 3000 people 2 times?

Thanks!

2. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

2000 post cards, three different times. three different post cards advertising three different services, but all three make it very consistant with your logo and its location on the page. if you put your logo 2" x 3" in the top right hand corner on the first post card, put it in the same spot and the same size each time. The customer will remember the mental image and recongnize it is the same company, but won't get as annoid thinking that you are spaming them since you are sending different post cards. Also, make sure you pay for a good list. You don't want to waste your time and money with subdivisions or people you don't want to service.

3. SwihartServices

SwihartServices LawnSite Member

The closer you make it to march the better results you'll have. People will forget about your flyer. Greenscapes has the right idea though.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I don't get much of a response from mowing flyers here in Virginia even as late as mid-March...I somehow highly doubt January in North Dakota would be primetime to pass any out.

You're right though that multiple flyerings of the same area will give you a better response...maybe hold off til closer to spring, and hit the same areas a few times.

5. IMAGE

from midwest

Ok Thanks guys. I like that idea of 3 fliers 3 times. I think I will do it around March 1st, 15th and April 1st.

I did get a good list, I bought it from the city. $80, and includes property values. But I am gonna target neighborhoods (mid-upper value)

6. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

NOT BAD FOR $80, BUT I WAS REFERING TO A COMPANY LIKE WWW.CENTURYLIST.COM THIS IS WHO I WILL MOST LIKELY USE FOR MY CAMPAIN. I CAN SET IT BY ZIP CODES THEN NARROW IT BY HOUSE HOLD INCOME, MARRIED, AGE, HOME VALUE AND MANY OTHER CRITERIA. i CAN EVEN NARROW IT BY PEOPLE WHO HAVE SHOW TO RESPOND TO MAIL ADVERTISING BEFORE.

THE GOOD THING ABOUT A SERVICE LIKE THIS IS THAT YOU CAN REALLY HIT JUST YOUR TARGET MARKET, WHICH WILL SAVE YOU STAMPS AND POST CARDS, IT WILL SAVE YOU FROM GOING OUT TO THE LOWER INCOME PEOPLE WHO ARE JUST KICKING TIRES AND BEST OF ALL, IT GIVES YOU THE CUSTOMERS FULL NAME SO THAT YOU CAN ADDRESS THEM ON THE LABEL INSTEAD OF "HOME OWNER" IT MAY NOT MAKE THEM PICK UP THE PHONE AND CALL YOU, BUT I PROMISE HAVING THEIR NAME ON THEIR WILL AT LEAST GRANT YOU A SECOND LOOK. EVERY TIME I GET SOMETHING IN THE MAIL WITH MY NAME ON IT I TAKE A SECOND TO TRY AND FIGURE OUT HOW I AM CONNECTED WITH THIS COMPANY AND HOW THEY GOT MY INFORMATION. WHEN I SEE, "DEAR HOME OWNER" I KNOW IT IS GARBAGE AND JUST CHUNK IT RIGHT OFF THE BAT.

7. IMAGE

from midwest

The list I recieved has about 20,000 names, addresses, and property values. Yes it would be nice if it had age also, but I can live without it. It is just for Fargo and West Fargo, so just my immediate area. Quickly sorting it by value I find about 4500 houses valued at $200,000+, I will go through and thin that list more by location, and that will be my mailing list. Some of them are gonna be commercial sites, but maybe they will like the postcard too :).

If I can get 2% signed on at a seasonal rate, and hopefully 5% of the 200-300 commercial places I am gonna cold call in January, then I would be off to a great start!

8. Gbug

Gbug LawnSite Member

Not to rain on your parade, but I highly doubt you will be able to sign 2%. You would be lucky to get a 2% response rate. Then of course, maybe sign 50% at best of those that call. Again, not trying to be negative, but you don't want to set yourself up for failure.

9. IMAGE

from midwest

You dont think if I mail to 3000 people, 3 times in a month, in early spring, that I will get 60 signed?

I got 15 signed for plowing off about 150 flyers, and signed 95% of those that called.

I do appreciate the response. I may wrong, but 2% seems doable.

I am shooting for 3 days of residential work per week, and 1-1.5 days of commercial.

10. CleanCutMowers

CleanCutMowers LawnSite Member
    from SE MO

That is a very good deal. I wish I could find something like that.