2008 ride-on sprayer/spreader - NEW + who

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jul 24, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Available in March, 2008? It will utilize a Spyker spreader, yet it will not be a Spyker unit -- rather, another manufacturer ... utilizing the superb Spyker spreader. I'm pretty sure this is true, cuz I've heard it from 3 different sources during the past 3 weeks. It's pretty much "hush hush" right now. Maybe no more "spit & hope" for weeds? , plus handling on slopes? I know we could all build a better one if we had the time & resources. So what company would you like to see to put one of these new units out??? My vote goes to TURFCO (Minneapolis), but that's just me. RSCVP please. Keep in mind that Permagreen, LESCO, Z-Spray, and others have "tried".???:cool2:

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

What is going to be different from the Z, PG, etc.

Have you heard any details on this machine?

Wonder how it will be priced?

3. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

talked with the folks from Turfco in 2005 and they said by spring '06.

Then in '06 talked with them again and they said by spring '07.

Now its '08??

This MIGHT be a good thing. Doesnt seem like a rush to get the machine on market (so I'm hoping that means they are REALLY doing some strong field testing?)

4. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure what you mean by others have tried. My z spray handles slopes pretty well. I wouldn't change a thing, well maybe the price, but other than that, I love my machine.

5. americanlawn

from midwest

Locally, the units that get criticized on slopes have been Z-Spray units (most often when turf is wet or the ground is soft after recent rains). We actually helped a competitor pull their Z-spray out when it got stuck this spring. But I realize it's all in the operator -- I know they spray nicely. As far as any more news....only Spyker dealers have given me a hint. I have talked to 3 different Spyker dealers in the Midwest in the past 3 weeks......seems they are in the dark too. Currently the most commonly used sprayer/spreader here is still the Permagreen Ultra. Guys run the sh$t out of them. Routine repairs, but they keep on running & making money. When I hear more regarding this new machine, I will sure post it. Please do the same for me. So currently, we'll keep running our two Ultras, but I know they will shell out soon. Lots of repairs & parts. Thanks to all -- as I don't mean to criticize any company.
    p.s. I consider Spyker spreaders as the best spreaders on the market.:waving:

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

American,

I am currently running a PG Mag, and LOVE it.

I was looking at possibley adding another unit next season so my Dad could help me and also to have a backup unit.

Have looked at the Z, but keep coming back to getting another PG.

Anywho....would you be scared to buy a new unit that is just coming out? I like to buy things after they have been on the market for a while and have the bugs worked out of them.

Just curios, because I will keep an open mind and if I like it, and they are available and affordable (like the PG) I may be interested.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It is hard to say. In this market, there is alot of room for more and more manufacturers to come out with "cheaper" units - or should I say "reasonably priced". Look at the fine unit that Northern Tool had in their catalog. I bet THOSE things are flying off the shelves.:rolleyes: Of course, those things were priced right at about 5 or 6 grand, if I remember right.

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i love new ideas so i cant wait to see it

9. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Now Now Dusty, no more toys. :laugh:

10. americanlawn

from midwest

That's what my wife always tells me too. :waving: If this unit does come on the market, I hope to test drive it first. It better not cost more than $6000. Otherwise, I might go with a Magnum or Z-Spray. Anything's better than pushing a spreader on bigger lawns and then have to pull out a hose to spray it for weeds. (although our early fall app is typically a liquid weed & feed). :hammerhead: Please stay in touch regarding this Spyker + ??? sprayer. Thanks.:cool2: