1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

2008 Toro 48" ztr blades randomly shut off

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DieselLandscaping, Jul 12, 2010.

1. DieselLandscaping

DieselLandscaping LawnSite Member

I have a 2008 Toro 48" Z master 21 kaw model # 74448
    it only has 282hrs
    Last wednesday my blades shut off at random and sometimes just wont even engage. We spent all week toying with it, used the switch from anthor z, checked wires and ohmed the clutch.

no luck.

Anyone have any other ideas before i take it to the dealer and it sits forever?

2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Have you checked the clearance? When I use my machine for awhile and it gets hot if I shut the blades off sometimes it won't engage again until it cools down that's when I know I need to adjust it. Also, check the belts my z400 use to eat belts.

3. DieselLandscaping

Check the clearance on what?

4. unkownfl

The clutch I don't know if the Toro has an adjustable clutch but my mowers do and I never had to adjust my Toro because I only had it for a few months and sold it. Does your clutch have three nuts in a triangle pattern on the outside of it???

5. DieselLandscaping

No, I just looked and theres no nuts on the outside. Blades run now, but im sure they will kick off again.

6. unkownfl

7. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

As far as I know the ogura clutch is the only adjustable one on machines today.
    So if you have 12 volts at the clutch then I would think you have a bad clutch with only 282 Hours on it.
    You can try adjusting it but I would think if it was out of wack from the factory then that was the case to begin with.

8. DieselLandscaping

Toro Sku # SKU: 109-2916

9. unkownfl

Yea that sucker is non adjustable. You need a new clutch. Warranty???

10. DieselLandscaping

Its under warrenty for 1 more year. Is this something they will cover? My dealer is tough
    Posted via Mobile Device