2009 Fertilizer Program - What do you think?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by jondcoleman, Aug 29, 2008.

1. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree- thats a little light on the dimension

most all my customers recieve 2 apps of gran dimension .15 @4lbs/k(depending on product)

you might take a look at jdl 13-2-5 w/ dimension

i have also used jdl 18-0-10 .21 dimesion 50% with good results

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

According to my calculation you are only applying .12 lb of Dimension per acre in each of your two spring aps. Too light, if your growing season starts in April. You could start with Team granular crabgrass control. Inexpensive and no fert at all, lasts about 8 weeks. (Or prodiamine liquid.) Follow up with the 13-2-5 or 13-0-5 Dimension at about 4 pounds per thousand--or .18 lb AI Dimension per acre. If you can use the Dimension about 6 to 8 weeks after the first application, it should stretch your crabgrass protection for several extra weeks. There is no need for excess nitrogen in the fall--chance of leaching is high--you will be fine with .75 pounds of n.

3. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

not the case... 1.88x43.56x.0015 = .1228 #ai/A x (2 apps) = 0.246 lbs of active ingredient per acre, total.

ok, but with pre-em on RD3 you end up with reseeding problems in the fall. With 2 months and no rain, and less than "half" of your customers on irrigation, fescue will need to be planted. Hydroseeding w/charcoal?

For post-emergent control w/Dimension, you need at least .25#ai/A.

You're better off w/ fert on Rd2 than on Rd1.

excellent post Heritage. For Rd 4, I'd go 1#N w/ 50%.

Dimension 0.21% 18-0-18 50%PCSCU mini-prill is an awesome product, but pricey. You can use it effectively at lower rates, with fewer bags. If this was a 24-0-12 it would be a perfect product. Great for Rd2!

I really like the idea of liquid prodiamine + .25#N + chelated Iron on RD1. Then the product I just mentioned on Rd2.

4. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

When in the world do you overseed? it would be 12-16 weeks before it is time to overseed, plenty of time for the AI to break down.

5. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

I agree most of your N should be put down in the fall. My last round is 46-0-0 soluble. Just make sure you time it for when the grass growth has slowed WAY down or stopped completely. Roots will continue taking it in until ground freezes. Great greenup in the spring but I also agree start off with 0-0-7 1st round. Also, research is showing better results with one heavy round of Pre-emergent versus doing split apps. I like Dimension. Just make sure you get at least .25 lb. ai per acre.

6. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Turfsurfer,

I just want to make a comment on the Dimension...Not trying to be too critical of you of course...

I find at least here in Jersey, the Dimension just wont last long enough, half life wise, even at heavier rate.

The Barricade for me I found IS fantastic for the single heavy dose, but the trade off is more broadleafs without using a split app of the the Dimension.

I just wanted to mention this.

Happy Fall,

Pete

7. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

8. junior091273

junior091273 LawnSite Member

This is basically been our our program for residentials

First two apps are DIMENSION 0.15% 19-0-6 30%PPSCU

Third is MERIT 0.2% 24-0-8 40%PPSCU

Fourth this year we used a 20-1-5 organic based. Normally a 25-5-10 which we will use again next year.

Our last app we use Lesco's Fert/Lime product.

We spray for broadleaf at every app with three-way.

We also use Crosscheck 0-0-7 for flea and tick .Great money maker

9. junior091273

junior091273 LawnSite Member

double post ....sorry

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I am using Dimension, but I am just using a cheaper fert. carrier (19-0-6, I believe). That is what I meant by a bit more economical. I am using the .15%, and going rather heavy with it, but we are all seeing alot of breakthrough due to the heavy rainfall amounts.