2009 walker mtghs tripping circuit breaker

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by agent walker, Apr 28, 2014.

1. agent walker

agent walker LawnSite Senior Member

my walker with 26hp efi keeps tripping 7a circuit breaker in the control panel. used to do it intermittently on job, now just turning the key pops it off. Tried new circuit breaker, didn' fix it. Disconnected safety system, power dump, and oscillator mower it still trips it. pulled wires out of wire harness from computer to engine and they look fine. Any tips on where to try next?

2. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Put a cotter pin in it's place. Look for smoke. Remove cotter pin quickly :)

3. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

You're likely going to have to trace wires, I would start at the circuit breaker and work outwards, it would help to have a continuity tester handy as well as knowing how to check for short circuits... In that sense I would look for cracks in the plastic wire insulation and see if there exists any exposed wire along the length of the cabling as well.

I would also check around the safety switches, see if a wire came off and is touching something...?
    Especially the one under the seat, but the rest as well.

Another idea would be to replace the ignition switch, and even if you have to buy one new and that isn't the problem it never hurts to have a spare... Here is another place a wire might have come disconnected and is touching metal..?

Somewhere in all of that you're likely to find the problem, and hopefully it's a quick fix but I would expect you'll have to dedicate some time to it.
    Just going to have to look until you find it, the good news is that it's far simpler than an automobile, the bad news is I wouldn't call it simple yet but I have done the above process and it is tedious but with a methodical approach it is not impossible.

Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  4. agent walker

replaced the ignition but didnt help. disconnected all the relays one at a time. Still no luck :(

5. agent walker

Disconnected safety switch wiring, power dump, oscillator motor, timer delay, both relays under seat and all 3 fuses and computer and wiring harness thats close to computer to right side of machine and power dump switch and it still trips...what else is there to check??