Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by worx, Jan 5, 2009.

1. worx

worx LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone made plans for any changes in the way you will do business this year, versus years in the past? Marketing, products, installation methods, business models......?

2. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Linking up with a company with deep pockets and developing this business with them.

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Theres a good idea.

4. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

Smarter advertising for me. Of course finding new ways to make installs better and quicker. Just the usual. Nows the time to hit it! Get yourself in front of people and market market market!!

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

You guys in the sunny south have is soooo easy! LOL Give me a 12 month a year market to operate in and look out!! :)

I have picked up a couple of interior jobs that will keep me busy, plus introducing a new Bi-Pin LED Lamp to the market, plus doing a number of commercial property lighting audits, toss in a nice vacation to the islands and before you know it, it will be April again. Then it is SERVICE SERVICE SERVICE for about a month to 6 weeks, followed by 4 major installations that are already sold. All is good.

6. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

I have been waiting for a Bi-Pin LED!!! I need info on this!

7. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Whatever pal! What makes you think you are so much different than every other contractor, in every other trade, in this market. You are the one who has it easy; but then again, that's assuming you are telling the truth (which I doubt). If so, more power to ya. Enjoy it while you can, and pile up a huge bank account in the event Canada experiences what we are going through someday. Until then, feel blessed you are NOT here!

8. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Canada is experiencing what you are going through Chris, only we didn't allow our finance industry to run quite so loosy goosy as your Fed. Admin. did down there. The recession is not limited to the USA. It is now a Global reality. I haven't seen a major new foundation get started around here in a few months. 2009 is going to be a challenging year for contracting. I am lucky to have a broader base then just contracting and fully expect to be relying on that to keep sales on par this coming year.

My comment on a 12 month a year market in which to operate a lighting contracting business wasn't aimed at you... it was just a light hearted attempt to get you guys down there to appreciate how nice you actually have it.... as in your wonderful climate that allows you the chance to work all year round, selling to permanent residents.

Want a challenge Chris? C'mon up here and try selling seven figures of outdoor lighting systems to a recreational market that is only in attendence from May 20th to Sept 10th or so, mostly weekends. Then you have install those sales in an environment that only allows you to do so from Mid April to Early December (at best... Nov 14th this year) It isn't for the weak of heart I can assure you. 80 to 100 hour weeks from May to September is pretty common for me.

9. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

The whole world is an awesome place. Especially America. We'll take this hit on the chin, and learn from it. And it won't be the first time. Being a superpower is a tough job.

10. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I don't feel the need to compete with your circumstances my friend. I deal with the hand that I am delt, and I'm comfortable with the task that I have at hand. As far as you're 80-100 hours per week? I have to assume you are not talking truth once again. No one of "serious" business prowess would have the time that you do in the constant contribution of meaningless content to multiple forums. You have much too much time on your hands, and you prove this during the summer months as well. You may con other folks, but not us rednex. You are either not telling the truth (which I believe is so) or you are someone who likes to rub our nose into the crap that this economy is in. Either way, I don't appreciate it one bit, nor do I think any of our contributors like it. I'll consider this conversation over as I never intended on starting an exchange with you in the first place.
    Have a Great Day!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009