2010 business plans, anyone?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Just wondering if anyone would like to reflect on the consumer market, and any adaptive changes you are making for your business in 2010, if any.

I may continue to stand on the sidelines with my day job, strengthening my financial position and saving up venture capital.

If anyone wants to discuss in private, just send a pm.

Thanks,

Mike

2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

1: Continue to position INTEGRA in the top tier of outdoor lighting companies in Ontario. Hire on one more full time installation tech. Hire full time office assistant.

2: Network market James Solecki Lighting Design Inc. to more Architects and Custom Builders. Develop more out of province/country work through existing network of clients.

3: Continue to develop new, innovative LED lamps and market through LED Lights Direct Inc. Develop relationships with established distributors and OEMs. Looking at standalone office/warehouse space in the new year and hiring an operations manager to run the business

That keeps me pretty busy!

3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Need to hire an additional lead tech and 2 more diggers.* The end of 2009 is wildly successful and looking to increase marketing and sales in 2010.*

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

We are going even bigger into Networking. We're also going to try some door to door marketing, as well as getting in front of people with our lights. I imagine we'll be "donating" a couple systems to highly trafficed areas. Im excited about the coming year. It should be a fun one. Im considering a name change as well unfortunately..

5. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

"Thinking about looking for greener grass"

6. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I will be taking the NC plumber state license exam within the month. Then hoping for a full time job at Duke Hospital. I will continue to do lighting & irritation on the side.

7. RLI Electric

RLI Electric LawnSite Senior Member

I am interested in hearing some of the techniques that you guys may use to get in front of architects and specifiers. In Connecticut you need to be licensed either with a low voltage license or a electrical license to do lighting, which is nice for me. I did do a "donated" lighting job for my town's public library which is sort of my Main street showroom. Got a lot of compliments on it which is nice not too much work though. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I have been so busy on the christmas light side I have not had time to think about growing the landscape light side that starts Feb 1.

1- I really want to give postcards a fighting chance in 2010. I have the funds currently for a monthly 4-5000 item postcard campaign for 5 months. I have said this the past 2 years and I have to pull the trigger and hope for the best. Firefly is an excellent example of if you spend it they will come.

2- building a shop for primarily Christmas Light storage but also landscape lighting expansion.

3- doubling or more our 2009 landscape light sales, and 15% or more growth in 2010 sales for Christmas season 2010.

9. RLI Electric

RLI Electric LawnSite Senior Member

I would be interested in knowing how many employees you guys have. I am a one man shop and would be interested to know how many of you are one person shops. That has always been the big question, when to take someone on. In CT you cannot simply hire a helper. They are either a registered apprentice or a journeyman. For what it's worth an apprentice is a anchor. Maybe not when it comes to digging trenches and burying wire but in the fact that it is illegal for us to leave them alone on a job.

10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Bobbyho. There is no shame or no crutch attached to working alone. If it makes sense for you to do so, then do so. I worked as a one man operation for 8 years, doing everything from installations, service, designs, sales, marketing, book keeping, maintenance, etc etc. It can be a very rewarding and profitable way to build a business.

That being said, I could never go back. I employ employ two full time installation/service techs and I have just made arrangements to hire a bookkeeper for 2010. You will know when the time is right to hire on help. Just be prepared in advance with strong networks to employment agencies, a firm idea of the job description, wages you are willing to pay, etc.

Merry Christmas