2010 f-250 diesel white smoke?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ClassicLawnCareInc, Jan 31, 2012.

1. ClassicLawnCareInc

ClassicLawnCareInc LawnSite Senior Member

Hey,

I've got one of my 2010 F-250's with the 6.4 diesel blowing a ton of white smoke at least once a day, roughly every 40-50 miles. The ford dealer has looked at it 3 times and has done a bunch of test, talked to Ford techs ect and they say nothing is wrong that there isnt anything they can do. The truck has 33000 miles. 4x4 quad cab.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanx

2. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Injectors?

3. ClassicLawnCareInc

I was thinking that could be it. They said they hooked up to a computer and checked every single aspect of the engine and drivetrain and everything is within specs from Ford. They said they spent 6 hours working on it today while talking to Ford techs on the phone. They had 2 diesel master techs working on this truck all 3 times Ive taken it in.

My other 3 Ford 6.4 diesels arent doing this at all so I know somethings not right.

4. moores

moores LawnSite Member
    from RI

I have a 08 F250 with the 6.4 and have the same problems i only have about 40,000 miles on it and sometimes it smokes like a train when i am taking off and then it goes away and comes back. I have taken it to the dealer and a few times and they told me that when the truck is blowing whitre smoke it is in regen mode and it is normal I think they are full of crap cause sometimes it blows out so much smoke that you can't even see the car behind you and they have to stop and pull over or they can't see.

5. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Are you losing coolant or have you checked the turbo oil seal? Sometimes they will blow white smoke during regen but it shouldn't be every 40-50 miles. When injectors go usually the truck will run pretty rough.

6. ClassicLawnCareInc

Ill check the coolant and urbo oil seal tomorrow.

7. professional

professional LawnSite Member

I just had this happen last week. Have an 08 250 with 69K, for five days in a row, it would smoke not long after start up. Dealer looked at it and also said everything is ok. They told me that it is more noticeable (white/blue smoke) during colder outside temps, ie. winter. He felt the regen cycles would become more normal once I drove a little longer distance. I've been driving a bunch of short distance runs the past few weeks. He said I probably was not driving the truck for long enough periods to complete the cycle and therefore it was starting over each time I drove the truck. It started last Mon. though Wed. and on Thr. is when the dealer looked at it. It continued on Fri. and Sat., truck sat on Sun. On Mon. it did it again, but I was out on the road for a good bit longer than I have been in a long time. It didn't clean anymore the rest of Mon. and today was a no regen day. :cool2: Maybe that was the trick. The last computer update doesn't have the regen notification lite for the entire cycle anymore, so now you don't know when it has completed. He said too many people complained that they couldn't see their trip odometer when it was on.:cry:

8. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

See you were braggin about how you had never had any problems with them and look what happens.

9. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

you need to have the dpf checked out, it may be clogged causing the truck to go into regen every 40-50 miles. or take that crap off and let the engine breath!

o yea and the dpf is not covered under warranty!! becuz its considered a filter

10. ClassicLawnCareInc

Haha yea the funny thing is this is the one truck that doesn't tow anything regularly. My other 3 6.4 diesels tow everyday and havent had any problems. Go figure.

Krazy Kajun, I talked to the Ford service manager today and he said if I was to remove the DPF he would still cover my warranty except for any engine problems. He said that now when there is a major problem with the drivetrain or engine Ford has to send a tech to approve the repair to cover it for warranty so they would see the missing DPF and not cover it if I ever had a problem. So it's not worht it to me.

Im considering trading this one truck in for a new Dodge Ram. Theres a leftover 2011 in my area. Im gonna go look at it this weekend.