Lawn Care Forum banner

2010 f350 xlt opinions

17K views 74 replies 19 participants last post by  RSK Property Maintenance 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Finally going to buy the well deserved work truck for this year for mowing route and some light landscape work.

I had planned on getting an old beat up truck with 150k miles on it for cheap(5-6k) and fixed it up but have been looking and have found some nice trucks local that i would feel more comfortable getting.

The one i have my eye on is a 2010 f 350 xlt regular cab 8 foot bed. (pictures attached)

I want to know the in's and out's before i buy this. It only has the 5.4l engine, but that is fine with me because we have zero hills around me, and the most i haul is a skid or tractor at around 7k lbs and a dump trailer load of about 4 yards of top soil @8000-9000lbs.

my plan for this truck would be to get it lettered, put a nice seat cover on it, and new rubber floor matts. Put low amp corner strobes in it, and some backup lights and put either an ez-dump or a truck craft alumnium dump insert in them....

The reason i have been looking for ford, because i appreciate them not taking the government's money, and mainly because i am sick of mopar parts breaking constanly on my 06 ram. Seems like i am getting something fix or replaced once every 2-3 weeks. Im not really brand bias so if i find a nice looking truck for a good deal, im intrigued

If this truck works out well for us, i will trade my 06 ram in on a new f350 lariat for a personal/work truck, but for now i would like to keep down on payments since the 06 is paid off.

Here she is, let me know what you think. i went and looked at it today, it so for sale locally and they are asking $17,250 for it plus paperwork with 43k miles on it. I think that is a pretty good deal and i will only be putting 3-4k miles on it per year with our lawn route and snow removal

4x4 xlt package, snow plow prep package and they can add boss superduty 8foot plow to it for an extra 3800 dollars. Let me know what you think

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Vehicle Window Car Motor vehicle Car seat cover

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

See less See more
#3 ·
That's a good price for it in my opinion. However, I'm not a fan of the 5.4 L engine. We have an '08 F-350 Dump with the 5.4 and it has no power. We do have a lot of hill here though. We run all Fords and are looking for another one now. I'm not buying anything that's gonna pull a trailer except the 6.4 L diesel. If it can do what you need it to do, I'd say go for it. We never had any problems with the 5.4 engine besides the lack of power. Will make a nice plow truck for you. Good luck!

#4 ·
looks good, well equipped and clean-- ive bought alot of stuff over the years truck or equip that a year later didnt fit my needs anymore, now a days really think out larger purchases and future needs, i can only suggest the same--
also i fully understand the dodge, i had an 06 dodge too, worst truck ive ever owned, i bought it new and owned it for about 17 months total, it sat at the dealer for over 6 months of that time, towards the very end they went into bankruptcy and denied the lemon and refused to work on it any more do to no parts availibilty--chrysler and that truck still piss me off to think about it,, oh well good luck

#5 ·
The truck looks good and is a great price. The 5.4 will serve you well with the weight your gonna be towing with it. I have a 2001 5.4 with 243k and still kicking strong. Tows our loaded 8.5x18 enclosed with no sweat. Loaded dump trailer is another story. If you wont be towing the skid and dump on the highway then you will be just fine. I also have a 2010 just like the one above equipped the same, except mine is a super-cab and has the 6.4. The truck has been great , plows and tows great. Ford makes a great product you'll love it compared to the dodge.

#6 ·
That's a great price. I know a guy who has that exact same truck. Color and everything. He has a 9 foot blizzard on it. It has plenty of power. I have a 250 with the v10. It has a lot of power. But for hauling around my 20 ft landscape trailer and a dump trailer a dozen times each summer. I would have settled with the v8. One thing. That truck probably had a plow on it before it was sold or traded. It doesn't have the front air dam and it has the velcro patch on the dash for the controller to sit. I don't know if that matters to you. But its something to think about.

#8 ·
well, the truck might be plowed with and i know that it is clean but that is a good point if i am going to try to talk the price down a bit. I really would prefer to have a virgin plow truck, i know what plowing does to trucks, but the price is already pretty good.

I wish it was april though, im sick of not making much money plowing, and i need some capital to invest in this truck so i can put a hefty down payment on it.

WIth a heavy load, will it really strain a lot? I know my ram 1500 pulls heavy loads fine.

#9 ·
Do you know how many hours are on the truck? You can check the hours simply by cycling through the trip 1, trip 2 and odometer. I've been looking for a new truck for about a year and before I bought mine last month, I found a 2007 f250 xtd lariat, only had 37k miles on it but had almost 4,000 hours (way too many hours per mile) on the engine when I test drove it. iwould def check it's hours.

Many times dealers don't look at it or even realize the trucks have the ability to track the hours.
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
Do you know how many hours are on the truck? You can check the hours simply by cycling through the trip 1, trip 2 and odometer. I've been looking for a new truck for about a year and before I bought mine last month, I found a 2007 f250 xtd lariat, only had 37k miles on it but had almost 4,000 hours (way too many hours per mile) on the engine when I test drove it. iwould def check it's hours.

Many times dealers don't look at it or even realize the trucks have the ability to track the hours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not sure if you are aware of this but the hours continue to run even if the engine isn't running with just the ignition is on.

#13 ·
my parents just got a new chrysler and it had 12 hours on it and 1 mile on it. All the newer cars from chrysler and ford have hour meters in them which is pretty cool. how many hours is too high for 43k miles?
I didn't do the math, this just a quick answer but I would think you want to be around 1000. When you go look at it, you can put the hours and mileage into a ratio equation and figure out what the average miles per hour is. If it comes out to <1 mile per hour, means it has a lot of idle or low speed driving which could mean been plowed with
Posted via Mobile Device

#14 ·
I didn't do the math, this just a quick answer but I would think you want to be around 1000. When you go look at it, you can put the hours and mileage into a ratio equation and figure out what the average miles per hour is. If it comes out to <1 mile per hour, means it has a lot of idle or low speed driving which could mean been plowed with
Posted via Mobile Device
That makes sense. Lets say the average truck speed is 25 mph, and it has been driven 10,000 miles. There should be around 400 ish hours on the engine. Correct? So for 43k miles there should be under 2000 hrs on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

#15 ·
WIth a heavy load, will it really strain a lot? I know my ram 1500 pulls heavy loads fine.
I had a 5.4 in my 06 250 (same 3V motor). I'd still have it if didn't have so much rust developing and needing new parts. Impressive power, far from it. Good overall truck, yes. The big thing when it comes to towing is what gear set it has. Mine was 3.73 which didn't help, 4.10 or higher would be better for sure. For a general use truck that isn't pulling really heavy all the time I think they are a fine truck. Hauling 10K everyday would get frustrating.

#16 ·
Thats a nice looking truck. And the price is really attractive. Earlier in the plowing season I drove a buddies Dually F350 Dump with the 5.4 and it did really well with the plow and probably 3 ton of product in the V-Box. Motor had plenty of power and overall I was impressed. Now that I am driving the same exact truck with a 6.0 Powerstroke I would say the diesel is nice, But they both pushed the snow rather equally. Didnt haul with em as they arent my trucks, but thats my point of view with a plow and sander attached

#17 ·
well i went and looked at the truck again and met up with the sales lady this morning. (was very nice of her to meet on a sunday) She told me that this was a former plow truck for the dealership and was this year when they were gifted a new f350 from ford because they had the highest sales rate per dealer size in Michigan. So i guess they are doing pretty well. They took the plow and everything off the undercarrage of the 2010 and put on the 2013 f 350. Before the truck plowed for the dealership(only last year and we had one plowable event last year) it was used by the dealership owner to travel up north to whitefish point michigan, and then to florida a couple times to his vacation homes. She proclaimed that it was all highway miles and they have every record on it since day one, which is nice to hear.

It is actually a Certified pre-owned truck so it has the remaining 100k mile warrenty, plus another 24month bumper to bumper warranty, just like a new one.

I talked her down to 16,250 otd, plus plates and title fee's. She could finance it over 84 months for $213 per month @2.25 percent.

I think this deal is too good to pass up. She also said that if i wanted a plow she could get me a boss 8 1/2 foot straight blade installed for 3,100 dollars or another 40 dollars per month.

Im kinda torn on what do to there, i dont need the plow for another 8 months until next season, and i could buy a plow outright and not add to the payment and install it, how i want it done precisely, myself and make sure its done right.

My plan is to pick the truck up after i go on vacation from the 14th t0 25th in a couple of days. I asked if she could call me if someone else was interested and if i had to, put a deposit on the truck. I left her a $1000 dollar check for the truck that she will hold onto when i get back, she just needed good faith that i am serious.

IF everything checks out, i will be the new proud owner of a 2010 f350.

Next thing is...... Do i trade my 06 ram 1500 in on it and have zero payment on this truck? And then buy a new(newer used) personal truck for my self? OR do i just keep driving my truck(with no payment) until it dies, and then get another truck in a couple of years when the ole dodge is tired.

What would you guys do?

#19 · (Edited)
I would do it! Get the boss plow too. Its a great price on that as well. I would look to shorten the length of the loan if you can. I would get an 8ft blade though.

#20 ·
I would do it! Get the boss plow too. Its a great price on that as well. I would look to shorten the length of the loan if you can. I would get an 8ft blade though.
That was her attractive pricing for me, a young 20 year old. LOL. This is going to be my first business loan without my dad to co-sign so im glad i qualified for such a low interest rate. I am going to shoot for a 5 year 60 month loan.

Pricing seems to be perfect and i will put some money upfront.

TRUCK: $16,250
PLOW: $3,100
FEE's: $500(title, plates, registration)
TAXES: $1,200
TOTAL: $21,050

$3k down
60 month loan 2.25%

$318.35 per month would be my payment. Its 45 dollars more than my dodge ram was, but is twice the truck at leased.

I think that is pretty damn afforable when i got quotes for 545 a month for a new f 250 xl package.

#22 ·
Thats exactly what i was thinking. I could pay this off within one season if i wanted to. What i was thinking of doing was to trade my dodge straight up for this truck( i have a plow already and would only need a mount and wiring for the f350, then finance a new truck.

I love the dodge, just spend a lot to maintain it. I guess that goes for every truck tho.

I have two weeks to think about it, she will give me 15,900 on my dodge to trade it. So id owe about 2k (which i was going to put down on it anyway..

I still really dont know what i want to do.

#23 ·
The trade in will save you a **** load on sales tax.

What about your one ton dump you got a while back? Do you still have that? If not I'd keep the Dodge until you can get your next truck, you don't wanna just have 1 and not have a backup.

#24 ·
Thats exactly what i was thinking. I could pay this off within one season if i wanted to. What i was thinking of doing was to trade my dodge straight up for this truck( i have a plow already and would only need a mount and wiring for the f350, then finance a new truck.

I love the dodge, just spend a lot to maintain it. I guess that goes for every truck tho.

I have two weeks to think about it, she will give me 15,900 on my dodge to trade it. So id owe about 2k (which i was going to put down on it anyway..

I still really dont know what i want to do.
What issues are you having with the dodge? If it was me. And I was having regular problems with the dodge. I would trade it off. I don't know what kind of miles you have on the dodge. But if its anything over 80k. You're getting a great deal on that new one with half the mileage, no payments and a warranty. Which just means you're going to be way ahead in the long run. I do have a 10 f.250. They are very strong and reliable trucks.

#25 ·
I have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 big horn edition quad cab with 97,000 miles on it. Never had any transmission or starting problems. I love the damn truck, but seems like there is a squeak that never goes away. This summer i changed the idler pulley, tensioner pulley, alternator, crank shaft pulley,a/c compressor and serpentine belt. Pretty much every pulley on the front of the engine. Hasnt squeaked since, but now whenever the belt gets even a little wet it screaches horrible and sweaks for about 10 minutes until the belt dries.

Also, i had to change a bent axle over the summer and i am sure i didn't overload the truck"personal truck" the most it hauls is a boat trailer, or a Turf tracer in the back, and i know i didnt side swipe a curb.

Also, the truck is somewhat starting to show wear in the interior. I have had to sew up the driver seat(small tears in the fabric) from it rubbing against the metal on the side when i get out of the truck. Dodge's seat cushions tend to wear out very quick.

REally nothing is wrong with the truck, id just like to update the fleet and have a fresh engine. I was origionally planning on not having a payment for another 6-7 years on a personal truck, which i still might do. Seems stupid to get rid of the dodge when it works fine,im just anal about the way my equipment runs, sounds, and looks.

Where most guys would just say, "i'll deal with the squeak", i want to make sure i know where its coming from and replace anything that could cause it.

#26 ·
What issues are you having with the dodge? If it was me. And I was having regular problems with the dodge. I would trade it off. I don't know what kind of miles you have on the dodge. But if its anything over 80k. You're getting a great deal on that new one with half the mileage, no payments and a warranty. Which just means you're going to be way ahead in the long run. I do have a 10 f.250. They are very strong and reliable trucks.
also with regards to maintenance. I get regular car washes, i change the spark plugs , and all fluids every 20k miles, and engine oil every 3k with synthetic. I know this engine will last me a long long time, just by the way i take care of it, but it gets expensive. I think i have logged over 7k in just maintenance since i have had it for 5 years. Which isn't bad you just normally don't factor the maintenance price in when buying a truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.