2010 Ford Diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TXNSLighting, Dec 20, 2007.

1. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I was talking to my ford dealer yesterday, one of my service guys confirmed, fords dropping the 6.4 after two years in production. the 2010 trucks will have a FORD diesel in them. theyve kept it in good disgize...(man i have no idea how to spell that word. i hope you guys can sound it out...ha!) but anyway, he said the ford diesel has been around since 06! so that engine will have a good 4-5 years under its belt before its released. it will be interesting to see what will happen with them. it seems the 6.4 is getting worse with age.
  2. didn't they have there own diesels at first, I always heard Navistar and Ford engineers were like cats and dogs at each other.
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I heard about this at somepoint over the past year. I think its way to soon for Ford to be doing that. It just seems as if it needs mor testing and such before its released!
    Is Ford planning any cosmetic changes for the 2010 F-series?
  4. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

yeh a whole new body design. not just upgraded stuff. no fords never had their own diesel, its always been international. i do to. i think they should wait til the contract expires in 2012. well like i said its had 4+ years of testing, so i think it should be ok.
  5. L&L

L&L LawnSite Member
    from Utah

From what I understand the 6.4 wont meet the emmisions in 2010 so maybe thats why they are changing again. Im not sure but I think the duramax will have to be changed as well me meet 2010 emmisions.
  6. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

it wont meet now. but they can make it meet then. their just done with international. yeh there will be a new duramax for 2010. its not goin to be called duramax anymore. i think theyre goin to call it ultramax.
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Ford used to build diesel engines but they were British built.

Dodge could loose Cummins at anytime they want with the option of a Mercedes engine.

GM is capable to make their own engine aswell.
  8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I heard about that a year or so ago when the 6.4 was first coming out but the buzz died down. It'll be a rough deal for navistar. I'm still very interested to see what they come up with.
  9. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

Is the 6.4 that bad? i really havent heard that much about them. Also didn't Daimler sell of christler group therefore making a Mercedes engine not an option?
  10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

My '05 6.0 is starting to look better and better every day. I must admit, I haven't heard many complaints from 6.4 owners. Especially when you compare it to the 6.0 it's first couple of years.

But if the 6.4 is getting dropped after only two years and Ford's going their own way with diesels, I'll probably have my 6.0 a very long time or switch brands.

Going on what GravelRat said, I can't imagine Dodge ever giving up Cummins. It's by far the main reason they're able to sell the trucks. And very few companies can make a diesel as good as Isuzu with the Duramax.